Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Odd shaking on my '01 Limited...Advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Sep 2007, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to maelxich
Default Odd shaking on my '01 Limited...Advice?

Hello to all im new here and id like to ask a general question.

i bought an 01 limited pt in february, had it for a couple of days, and it started overheating. turns out the head was cracked and the headgasket was shot. dealership took care of the whole thing under warranty. now thats just some history.

my problem is this: as of lately the pt doesnt have the pickup that it used to. for one, if im accelerating once it hits approx 50mph at 2000rpm, it gives this weird kickback feeling like shaking and will just stay at a constant speed. i feel it through the gas pedal and after a few seconds itll catch itself and then continue acceling towards 60mph.
to add to that, if my steering wheel is turned all the way left or right, and i go to accelerate from a complete stop, it hesitates a bit and THEN goes.

all i know is that it wasnt doing this when i first got it or immediatlyafter the dealer fixed it up. i really want to see what you guys think before i go to a mechanic.

any input would be appreciated!
thanks!

2001 Limited Edition Frost Metallic Taupe
DIY Custom Taillights (pics coming soon!)
Two 10" 600W Pioneer Subwoofers
Sony XPlod 800W amp
Custom Spiderweb on hood
Green Neon Lights on the interior w/ killswitch
PTCRUISERLINKS username on 3rd brake light
Carbon Fiber Center Console
Sexy Seat Covers lol
Black Fuzzy Dice
Old 26 Sep 2007, 10:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Odd shaking on my '01 Limited...Advice?

WELCOME to the forum. Just taking a guess at this but sure sounds something else went wrong when the head cracked along with your headgasket. I had two cars that wouldn't accelerate past a certain point and in both, the Catalytic Converter was plugged up. Do you have full pressure out the back while revving in idle? You can't go anywhere near red line in idle because of a rev limiter but should be able to rev up smoothly to a certain point before it cuts out. Could be something else internally also.

Haven't the faintest idea why turning the wheel would make it hesitate.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 07:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
I used to live on Long Island, worked at Grumman for a summer, so I know where Commack is.
My hunch is your wires/plugs. The "stumble" is what I had - don't always get a check engine light.
Here's how to do the plugs/wires:
Album: CHANGING SPARK PLUGS ON A PT CRUISER - SIMPLIFIED

Suggest Crane wires from www.RaceAndStreet.Com - the stock wires just don't last, but put in new plugs at same time.

If I'm wrong, you've just done some maintenance and you'll be good (ignition-wise) for about 50,000 miles.
All I can think of the turn connection is that maybe draw of PS pump puts a strain on engine that weak spark chokes on?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Sep 2007, 02:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

try the plugs wires first, check your tranny fluid and tell us what color is it ??
Old 27 Sep 2007, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok CREWZIN, when im parked and i rev, it goes smoothly up to 4000 till the limiter kicks in. now bare with me, what do you mean by full pressure out the back?

quicksilver, i had a feeling someone would say that because all similar situations ive seen, people have suggested wires and plugs. so i was just making sure i had kinda the same situation going on.
as far as what you said about the turning, i was thinking along the same lines.

thanks all for the advice

oh and ive checked my tranny fluid recently and all is well with that, althought ill check again and let you know.

Sony XPlod 800W amp
Custom Spiderweb on hood
Sexy Seat Covers lol
Black Fuzzy Dice
Old 27 Sep 2007, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, If your revving up to 4000 smoothly, that probably rules out the clogged CAT. I was wanting to see if it stuttered or broke up but it doesn't sound like it does. Go with QSD's suggestion with plugs and wires (can't hurt), use the new gap of .040 inch and hopefully that will clear things up.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

gap .040? whats that mean. im really not good with the whole termonology lol. another thing, is the wire and plug replacement a DIY type thing or do you recommend having a mechanic do it. im confident in myself as long as i have decent instructions lol. the pictures didnt work for the how-to that quicksilver posted

Sony XPlod 800W amp
Custom Spiderweb on hood
Sexy Seat Covers lol
Black Fuzzy Dice
Old 27 Sep 2007, 05:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your right, the pictures aren't working from Imagestation, I have the same link to give to people and mine's not showing up. Got a message from Imagestation the other day saying I have to move all my pictures by a certain date ..or else?

Without that guide, guess it would be better for you to have someone with experience do the tune-up. The new service bulletin from Chrysler says to gap the plugs at .040 inch vice .050 as the old instructions said.

If you live near any PT Cruiser club, you might ask any of the members if they care to help out a fellow owner with a first time tune-up. I know I'd be willing to help anyone that asked in my area. Would save you a bunch of $$$
Old 27 Sep 2007, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

so how exaclty would i find out where the nearest pt club is lol. ive had this car since feb and im finally trying to get involved with the community because i love it!

Sony XPlod 800W amp
Custom Spiderweb on hood
Sexy Seat Covers lol
Black Fuzzy Dice
Old 27 Sep 2007, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Found a couple of them in NY. Just go to Google and do a search for "PT Cruiser Club New York" and you'll see the one's I saw.