Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Shut Off, Will Not Restart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2007, 01:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Shut Off, Will Not Restart

When my wife left for work this morning her 01 PT made it almost to the next street before the engine just shut off. I went over and checked it out and it would take several tries to get it started. When the engine turned over it would start fine, but just run for a few seconds before dying again, and then taking a while to get started again.

After I took her to work and then came back to the car I was able to start it up almost immediately and it would run long enough for me to get it back to the house.

Now that it is in front of the house, I have been able to start it up immediately like normal, not at all, and only after a few moments of waiting. So it does not always repeat the symptoms from one try to the next. Everything on the interior works such as lights, radio, gauges, locks and horn.

I was able to get a 1684 code, but the information on the forums here and other websites are conflicting.

The battery is just a couple of months old.

Hoping someone can lead me in the right direction towards getting this thing back on the road again.

Thanks.

Last edited by Stevearino; 02 Oct 2007 at 01:19 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 01:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Shut Off, Will Not Restart

The P1684 is the signal that the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 starts but a lot of us see that code and haven't touched anything. Looking through the Internet the best advice is to have the whole charging system looked at. Battery stores and some auto stores will do it for free. Even though the battery is almost new, doesn't mean it's not defective with a bad cell or a loose wire somewhere. Before you go, take off the leads and clean the posts to make sure your getting a good connection.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 01:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Doesn't sound like battery to me, since you can crank it, & lights, etc, work. Can't hurt to check battery connections.
Don't rule out the ignition switch - I saw a thread where that's what the problem was for symptoms roughly the same as yours - try holding/pushing in on key & see if that makes a difference.
Try doing a search here on ignition...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Oct 2007, 04:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, at this point it is definitely the negative battery cable...as the connector just sort of broke off

So, to look up the replacement info for that...

Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 05:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Replaced the negative terminal. It would not start at first, but after about five attempts it started up fine. Let it run for a while and it ran OK. Shut it off and was able to start it back up without any problems. Shut it down one more time, now I cannot get it going again.

I tried to ignition switch thing (pressing the key in while trying to start it) but that did not make a difference.

What is the one red light in the middle of the fuel and temp gauge for? Sometimes it is on, sometimes not, but mostly it is.

Thanks again for looking.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The light has to do with the alarm system.

You say you shut it down and now it won't get going again. Does it turn over pretty fast but just not catching, or not turning over at all?

When it's running, it's smooth, will rev up, idle OK and sit there running without trouble?

Basically, we have two major things to look for...ignition and fuel. Unless of course there's a computer, relay, fuse, switch or other factor involved.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Oct 2007 at 06:19 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Will not turn over at all.

When it does run it runs perfectly normal.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hmmm. I remember my Vette doing something like that. Turned out to be the solenoid on the starter. We do have a solenoid on the PT. Could be dead spots. You can see the starter and solenoid if you look down in front of the engine when standing at the front grill.

In the old days we used to bang/tap on the solenoid when it was going bad to get it to start. Don't know if that would work now.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Running with that idea, I found another line for troubleshooting the starter. The first thing they said was to turn on the headlights and try to start the car. If the lights dimmed then it is more than likely the solenoid/starter. However, the lights didn't dim and they recommend checking the control module.

Now, what is this "control module" that they are referring to?

Link
Old 02 Oct 2007, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The Control Module or PCM ( Power Control Module) is your computer and it's not cheap.

I did a Google search and even on there under "failure to start" it was recommended to replace the PCM. We/you haven't the equipment to trace down where the fault may really be. You might have to break down and have it professionally diagnosed either by the dealer or local shop.

Chrysler Repair: follow-up Power control module, engine won't start