Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery Replacment Process

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2007, 11:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery Replacment Process

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser and I need to replace the battery. It appears that I have to remove the air filter box in order to get at the battery clamp. Does anyone know how I remove the air filter box?
Old 05 Oct 2007, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Replacment Process

Unsnap the 2 snaps that hold the cover on. Holding on the bottom at both sides, give a quick "jerk". That should allow you to remove the air box. Good Luck!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Oct 2007, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the tip. I guess it's attached to the support beam underneath it by some rubber grommits. Is this the case?

Do you have to disconnect the fuse box from the air filter box before removing the air filter box?

After replacing the batter, how do you reattached the air filter box? Just push it down hard?

Steve
Old 05 Oct 2007, 08:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFarn View Post
Thanks for the tip. I guess it's attached to the support beam underneath it by some rubber grommets. Is this the case? Yes!!

Do you have to disconnect the fuse box from the air filter box before removing the air filter box?I don't remember a fuse box.

After replacing the batter, how do you reattached the air filter box? Just push it down hard?Yes, that should do it.

Steve
I hope this helps.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Oct 2007, 12:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for help ... I'm off to give it a try.

Steve
Old 06 Oct 2007, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

As I recall the PT battery might be a non-standard "R" model that has the terminals "reversed" from that of the usual arrangement. You may want to doublecheck this before you purchase the wrong battery.
Old 07 Oct 2007, 11:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, I noticed that I needed a reverse battery and that's just what I got. A "26R" from Napa. THANKS.

I was able to pull out the air filter box just as it was described. Piece of cake. Got everything cleaned up and ready to re-assemble.

Now I'm waiting for the dealer to get me a new thermal sheild for the battery before I put it all back together.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
Old 07 Oct 2007, 04:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

that iis what we are here for!!!