general tune up questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2007, 05:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default general tune up questions

hello,i have been reading and taking notes. this forum is awsooomm,
my pc favorits are full of pt topics from this link. i have a 02 non turbo
that is getting its first tune up after 69000 plus miles on odomiter, of course
i have simular problems as most- poor gas mileage.. i like the 3 psi over sticker
trick,i will be doing that tonight. ok here's my question, is it ok to run chapion
iridiums in a non tubo factory gaped at .040 ? i have heard thay last a bit longer than double platinums,will it cause a timeing issue? i went with autolite pro umlimited replacement warrenty wires, i had to order them because the crains were out of my budget. i also puchased a pureone oil filter and was going to go with mobil 1 synthetic blend 10w30sae, or the wallmart suggestion- wally brand full synthetic. i do regular 3000 mile oil changes but
this will be my first diy on the pt. i did installed a fram air filter a mounth ago
and will upgrade to a K&N soon, im also tackelling the gauge lites that went out by the 40-60 speedo with #74 submini bulbs. like i said this forum is awsooomm. thanks for any feed back and i'll keep reading and taking notes

Last edited by ptandme; 07 Oct 2007 at 11:27 am.
Old 06 Oct 2007, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: general tune up questions

Welcome to the forum.

On the Champion Iridium plugs, read this.....

Champion Irridium plugs - DON'T!!!

Whatever you use, yes, gap should be .040in

On the synthetic oil; 5W30 if you live down south, 10W30 if your temperature see colder weather. Are you still covered by a warranty? If not, stretch your oil change intervals to 4, 5 or 6,000 miles if you go to full synthetic.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Oct 2007, 10:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the quick response and link, i will be returning them and purchaseing the double platinums. i do not no the specks on the ignition
wires yet but thay've got to be better than what i have. i bought the pt used
with no warrenty, im sure i'll have more questions in the future. by the way my better half wants to know where you got the stick shiftin smilly.
thanks again
Old 07 Oct 2007, 07:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That smiley is from my CORVETTE forum. Each forum carries their own set of smilies.

If you right click on any picture and go to properties, the location line will tell you where any picture, smiley or add-on comes from.

Now it's back to work ...

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Oct 2007 at 07:56 am.
Old 07 Oct 2007, 10:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
...On the synthetic oil; 5W30 if you live down south, 10W30 if your temperature see colder weather. ...
I think you got that backwards Crewzin, The heavier oil (10w30) should be used in warmer climate and the lighter in cooler, see attachment (from the 2003 PT Cruiser Chrysler service manual).

srg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OilTempChart.jpg (33.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 07 Oct 2007, 10:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
I think you got that backwards Crewzin, The heavier oil (10w30) should be used in warmer climate and the lighter in cooler, see attachment (from the 2003 PT Cruiser Chrysler service manual).

srg
Oooooops. Your right of course. Thanks. I'll chaulk that one up to a senior moment.

Old 07 Oct 2007, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Howdy, from down south NC, i took the plugs back ordered the champion double platinums found the specks on the autolight wires 7mm sent them back and ordered magstar perfomance wires 8.5mm from advance auto.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 08:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'd recommend going with a K&N air filter. That plus:

-inflating tires @ 38 rear/40 front
-Mobil 1 5w30 & K&N oil filter
-resetting the computer (disconnect neg. battery terminal 5 min.) 4 or 5
times over the last month
-trying to keep RPM's no higher that 2500 - 3000 tops
-popping it into neutral when I see a light change to red up ahead
-Crane FireWires & Bosch Platinum 2 plugs

..got me currently up to 24-25 MPG in town.

The RPM's are probably the biggie .
'06 PT Limited Edition, Linen Gold ext./Pebble Beige int., K&N air filter, Mobil 1 synthetic/K&N oil filter, Crane FireWires & Bosch Platinum 2 plugs, (25 mpg in town - yeah!), Ventvisors, Spoiler, full length Husky Liner, Anti-Microbial cabin air filter, Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover, front ceramic pads & new front rotors, Clarion underseat powered sub, Premium Chrysler emblem mats, stubby antenna, back bumper scuff guard, front windows & windshield tint, 8-ball stemcaps, 8-ball door lock stems, 8-ball cigarette lighter, Rat Fink & NA decals, diamond in the back, sunroof top, diggin' the lean with the gangster scene, mm-hmm..
Old 11 Oct 2007, 06:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome !!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hey guys thanks for the welcome and the info, im heading out for lowes motor speedway, my 1st time and needed to do something with the gas milage, it had more milage than i figured 73349 all original. at the moment im still on a tight budget , as time gose by i'll make suttle upgrades. i went with champion double platinums- magster perfomance ignition wires 8.5mm- mobil1 10w30sae synthetic and pure one oil -n- air filter- 38psi all around. still have gauages to do, pesky little bulbs i'll probably finish up by tommorow.
this forum rocks.

Last edited by ptandme; 14 Oct 2007 at 09:04 pm.