PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

P0601 error replacement parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2007, 03:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0601 error replacement parts

hi all, i have a 01 PT Cruiser with the P0601 error. read on the forums that I will need to replace the PCM part. can anyone please advise what the part number is? I got one from a friend and it's R5033117AE, but the description is MODULE ENGINE CONTRO , not PCM (powertrain control module).

thanks in advance for the time and help!
Old 10 Oct 2007, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0601 error replacement parts

There's a number of reason why you might have got the code. I wouldn't go changing modules without further diagnostics. Here's one pull from a Google search.

To answer your question, a search brings up different diagnostics for a PCM and ECM.

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) - P0601 ENGINE CONTROL MODULE CHECKSUM ERROR
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 12 Oct 2007, 08:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

P0601 is PCM internal fault. This is the PCM saying dont bother to do any diagnostic. I am bad and therefore need to be replaced. The part number you have is for a remanufactured PCM hence the R in front of the number. If you are under 8 years and 80,000 miles you can get it replaced at the dealership under emissions warranty. If not then you will still have to deal with a dealership because the PCM will have to be programmed to the car. It will have to have the VIN and SKIM codes burn into it.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 04:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

I checked my 2001 2L petrol PT yesterday and found the P0601 error. If I had not borrowed a OBDII reader I would never have found out there are no external issues, car runs just fine. If there really is a problem with the PCM what symptoms would I expect to see? If there are none then why fork out money for a new PCM and reprogramming at a dealer (which I know will not be cheap).
Old 30 Aug 2013, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, I'll save someone the trouble....Holy post revival, batman. Meaning you've replied to a post that 6 years old.

If you just found the fault code, who knows how long it's been there. Probably a glitch. Just take off the negative battery cable for 5 minutes, step on the brake pedal and put everything back together. That will clear the code from memory and reset the computer. Might run rough for a minute or two while the computer re-learns your settings. Don't worry about it unless it comes up again.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com