Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help, please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2007, 04:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help, please!

Hi there, my 2003 PT Cruiser just broke down, first time ever - just stopped right in the middle of the road. It is turning over, but not starting. Had it towed back home, tried the self displaying error code and it gave me PO344, which from this site came to be "Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent." However, from reading some other postings, I find that vehicles are still running with this error code...? Is this something that would cause my vehicle to not run at all?
Old 11 Oct 2007, 05:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help, please!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your trouble. Not sure where you read about other cars still running, but if it's really the Camshaft Position Sensor that's bad, the car will act exactly like yours ....and mine when the sensor wires were burnt stopping the signal from the camshaft to the computer.
Maybe it's the "intermittent" part that lets them keep running.

It's pretty easy to replace, located on the right side of the engine just behind the oil dipstick. I think someone said it was about $60, but I can't be sure of that.

To remove the electrical connector, there's a red clip that pushes to one side that lets the connector come loose.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Oct 2007 at 05:23 pm.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you so much!! A friend suggested it was the timing...which is MUCH more expensive and we cannot replace ourselves ( I dont think anyway...) I had a '98 neon prior which sent me to the coals several several times, I think I replaced the head gasket 3 times and I just had horrible horrible flashbacks when this happened. We've already paid for towing and all that jazz, and I just don't know about the local car repair shop...

I thank you for your quick reply!!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 05:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You were lucky. Mine broke down at 11pm on Interstate 95 in the middle of South Carolina. Called my Chevron car club and had it towed to the nearest town and they locked it up overnight at a FORD dealer while I was put up into a motel. The next morning they picked me and my car up and took me 50 miles to the nearest Chrysler dealer. They found the burnt wires and I was on my way with 2 hours of labor costs.

Old 15 Oct 2007, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
How many miles on your PT? If you're under 100,000, then it should just be the sensor. If you're over 100,000, if it isn't the timing belt this time, it probably will be next time....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Sep 2008, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm sorry for the thread necromancy, but I would like to post my heartfelt thanks and appreciation for this forum. At lunch time today, my 2004, 55k mile, pt cruiser flashed the check engine light and shuddered at a stop light, once I got it back to the work parking lot, the car wouldn't start again. If not for this forum, and this thread in particular, I would not have known how to prevent a costly tow, diagnostic, and all that jazz.

Instead, I used the instructions in another thread to extract the check engine light code (the ignition on-off-on-off-on trick) and found that my issue was related to this sensor. I had the wife pick up a new sensor for 35 bucks and figured I would install it once I got home. Didn't make it there, instead, I had her bring out the tools and the part that she purchased and replaced it by the side of the road. The pt cruiser ran fine on the way home and is running so well that I had to make sure that the air filter cover was secure because it was purring in a way that I haven't heard it for a year and a half now.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 09:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What a great story. Sometimes the code only gives an idea what's wrong and it's trial and error but yours seems to have worked out.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 06:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a similar problem with my 2001 PT Cruiser. It started skipping and will die when it warms up. It will eventually start back up though. The trouble codes are P0340 and P1391. I replaced the cam position sensor, but there was no change.

Got any ideas?

I looked up the codes and here is the info. I got: the P1391 code says "Intermittent Loss of CMP or CKP. Loss of the Cam Position Sensor or Crank Position sensor has occurred "

And the P0340 says "No Cam Signal At PCM. No fuel sync"

Would the crank sensor be bad? or would it be the cam sensor wires?

Any thoughts would help.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy01ptc View Post

Would the crank sensor be bad? or would it be the cam sensor wires?

Any thoughts would help.

Could be either or both. Owners have reported sensor wires that have rubbed until the casing wore through and others have just gone ahead and replaced the Crank sensor itself. If you go for a new sensor, stay with genuine MOPAR parts as aftermarket sensors have given owners problems.