Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Finally figured out the problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2007, 06:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Finally figured out the problem

Belt tensioner. After they fixed it, I said screw this and went and bought an HHR LT. Love it way more than the PT. Thanks for all the help guys.

BTW, the tensioner went out with only 56000 miles on the clock. Endoubtedly, it's somewhat common. ARRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 06:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Finally figured out the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptguy View Post
Belt tensioner. After they fixed it, I said screw this and went and bought an HHR LT. Love it way more than the PT. Thanks for all the help guys.

BTW, the tensioner went out with only 56000 miles on the clock. Endoubtedly, it's somewhat common. ARRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not common at all.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 11 Oct 2007, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Not common at all.

Really???

A while back, I felt a 'mechanical shift' from the engine, and then it 'shifted' back with no further problems. But then, my waterpump blew, it blew a t-stat seal, and on and on. I wonder how related these were. A few hundred here, a few hundred there, pretty soon it's real money.

I also based my comment on comments about PTs they see. 9 out of 10 are problematic like mine. But, then again, maybe it's just because they go to that shop.

Last edited by ptguy; 11 Oct 2007 at 06:45 pm.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 09:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I've had 3 PTs, a '01, a '03 GT and currently my wife's '04. The only major problem with the '01 was the auto tranny went out at 81k miles. No surprise there. The 41TE has it's problems. My '03 5 speed GT had the clutch master cylinder go out at 10k. It was covered under warranty. No other problems and the car was modified to 280 hp. The car was a beast and ate V8s for lunch. My wife's automatic '04 currently has 83k+ miles and has had no problems other than a flash of the PCM for a stalling problem covered under warranty. So for us at least the PT has been a good car. Now Chrysler offers a lifetime drivetrain warranty so I wouldn't have a problem buying another one.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 11 Oct 2007, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mean Green:

Thanks for sticking up for us Mopar faithful. The only way I'd abandon my GT would be for another Mopar, possibly the new Nitro SRT-4 or a Crossfire SRT-6. But a Chevrolet HHR, uggghhhh!

Besides, based upon your Cruiser ownership experience, there is nothing like repairing the car that you love, rather abandoning it in mid-life! We've only driven ours (the '03 and now the '05) about 6K each year, so (knock, knock) we have only had to see the shop for oil changes and routine recommended maintenance.

2005 PT GT Turbo HO Autostick Convert. --- Bauhaus Progressive Rate Lowering Springs 2.0" frt/1.75" rear, Tokico HP Blue Struts/Shocks, Freedom Front Strut Brace, K&N Filter, Crane FireWires, MOPAR Turbo BOV, TOYO PROXES TPT 215/50/17 HP Skins, Sylvania Silverstar Headlamps, IPCW Clear LED Taillights, TYC Back-up Lights, 115db Airhorn, 13" Billet Radio Antenna w/ chrome bezel, Chrome: Fuel Door Cover, Trunk Lid Struts, Door Handle Cups, Door Spears, Hood Portholes, Washer Nozzles, GT logo valve stem caps, Steering Wheel Spoke Trim, NEW! Chrome Upper body trim, 30% window tint side and rear, Sirius One Radio, factory GPS.

Other MOPAR in our family: 2005 Pacifica Limited AWD
Past Mopars:
2003 Cruiser PT GT Turbo 4dr and fifteen others back to (my first and favorite) 1965 Plymouth Satellite 426 Hemi Conv't.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptguy View Post
A few hundred here, a few hundred there, pretty soon it's real money.
I've heard it's usually cheaper to fix a car than to give up on it, trade it in and make payments on a new one.
Looking at the prices of new vehicles... now that's REAL MONEY.
Not to mention the big dollars you lose as soon as it rolls off the lot.

But, once somebody goes sour on a vehicle, there's usually no turning back.
Sorry that happened in your case.
Hope you enjoy the HHR and it's more reliable than your previous car.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Put 87,000 trouble-free miles on my '02 PT, and have 54,000 trouble-free on my '05. Trouble-free doesn't count spark plugs wires on both, or broken sway bar from a pothole (also cracked a rim) on my '02.
If you think GM has better reliablility, I hope you're right.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Oct 2007, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

92K here and looking around for a good place to do the timing belt and tensioner as I plan on keeping my PT awhile longer. Problems, yea I've had a few but I've had a few on my Chevy Vette, and the wife's Suzuki and first KIA. I've seen an HHR being towed but I've also seen a Cadillac and Benz on the side of the road. Nobody's immune.

Reading all your posts, it sure sounds like it all started with the major service a few months back, one thing leading to another after it was at the dealer. You even stated at the end of one post, "No problems up till then". I guess I would feel the same way as you do if everything went at once.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Oct 2007 at 02:40 pm.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

nothin major here thank god on both that we own
Old 15 Oct 2007, 03:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I didn't mean to knock the PT, if I didn't like it to begin with, I wouldn't have gotten it.

I admit, I probably got a lemon. And my neighbor too. lol In the month she';s owned it, it's been in the shop in another state for half of it. They can't figure out the cooling problem. It was used and out of warrsanty.

I keep cars for under 3 years, with 1 1/2 - 2 being average, and I had the PT for 25 months.