Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP!!! ROUGH IDLE IN AM!!IDEAS??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2007, 01:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default HELP!!! ROUGH IDLE IN AM!!IDEAS??

OK I had some issues with drivability,rough idle missing about 2k miles ago,,it was fixed with new platinum plugs,wires & a fresh download to the PCM,,it absolutely ran great until 2 days ago..... (PT is garaged) I started car & it ran very rough for 2-3mintes almost like it was going to stall...I shut it down,,,I started it up & it continued to run rough for about 2 minutes & than ran fine..Ok Now it does it again this am & runs fine after 2 minutes again...I had mechanic check for codes & none!! Any ideas,,running fine until tommorrow???? I will check it again in the am..stumped!!
Old 16 Oct 2007, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP!!! ROUGH IDLE IN AM!!IDEAS??

fmaybe a little fuel injector cleaner ??
Old 16 Oct 2007, 04:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

BOB: thanks for the idea..my mechanic though suggested to stay away from over the counter cleaners....any thoughts gang? (He thinks full blown removing the lines is only thing that works)PS: It runs fine after the intial am startup....very strong!
Old 16 Oct 2007, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

new plugs AND new wires, that worked for me.....go with aftermarket wires, like Live Wires or MagnaCore, and the NGK Iridium IX plugs are good, as are others.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 06:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just changed plugs & wires 2k miles ago along with download to PCM... (I think I may buy an Altima '08 ) warranty &gets 35mpg & looks good !!..tired of the problems!
Old 16 Oct 2007, 06:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MJB457,

Here's some reading I found for you....

I recently purchased a pre-owned 2002 TE PT with 77k miles for my wife, which appears to be in good running condition. Our last (fuel injected) vehicle used a cold start injector, but the PT does not appear to have one. Am I missing something? Ken, from Washington.

On the PT and most vehicles with newer engines the cold start injector is no longer used. Instead, the PCM looks at the coolant temperature sensor to determine if the engine is hot or cold. If the engine is cold and needs extra fuel to start, the PCM increases the cycle time of the fuel injector pulses to supply more fuel to the engine.

I have a (domestic import) 2001 pre-owned TE PT with 40k miles. I've experienced problems with cold starting/stalling since I took possession of the vehicle in 2005. If the vehicle sits overnight, or for more than a few hours, it will usually stall or stumble when I start it. I have to rev the engine a bit for about 20 seconds or so before driving off. This occurs regardless of whether I'm in drive or reverse. After it warms up a bit it's ok. I had the sparkplugs, wires and EGR changed, but it hasn't helped. Last week I had the idle motor valve cleaned, de-carboned after a mechanic suggested I try it as a remedy. The car runs smoother, but the problem with stalling persists. Currently the idle runs at about 800 RPM. The folks at DC say that the idle motor may need changing. As it would mean spending another couple of hundred dollars I kindly ask your advice for this persisting problem. What should the RPM in idle be for my car. Should I have the idle motor replaced, is it likely to cure the stalling problem? Thanks for your help. Robert, from Czech Republic.

As we discussed in a previous email, stalling can be caused by a low idle speed, incorrect fuel mixture, intake manifold leakage or faulty ignition coil(s). Under the right conditions there are a number of components (ECT sensor, fuel injectors, MAP sensor, idle air control motor, throttle body and O2 sensor) that can contribute to stalling issues with a cold engine.

You indicate that the sparkplugs, wires, and EGR were replaced and it didn't help. Then the idle motor valve was cleaned after a mechanic suggested it as a remedy, but the trouble with starting persists. The idle speed is controlled by the PCM and various inputs. Target idle is determined by the following inputs:

Gear position
ECT Sensor
Battery voltage
Ambient/Battery Temperature Sensor
VSS
TP sensor
MAP Sensor

Based upon other PT's I've seen, normal idle, without the A/C running, is about 1000rpm. As previously discussed, a malfunctioning IAC motor can cause stalling, but low idle can also be caused by one or more of the inputs mentioned above.

If you had brought it to the DC dealer initially, and they determined that the IAC was faulty they would simply replace it. They would not have bothered to service it. At this point it is difficult to know with any certainty if the IAC motor is faulty, or possibly one of the other inputs that is causing the low idle condition without further testing. What you really need is a skilled diagnostician.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 05:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
OK I had some issues with drivability,rough idle missing about 2k miles ago,,it was fixed with new platinum plugs,wires & a fresh download to the PCM,,it absolutely ran great until 2 days ago....
How long ago was 2K miles?
Anything about 2 days ago? You get gas 2 days ago? Heavy rain? Any clue?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Oct 2007, 11:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ok Here are details: Car Serviced with new wires,plugs & update to PCM on 8/17/2007-50,757 miles... now it has 52,540 approx,,, 2k miles & 2 months approx,, anyway only thing that I can recall is that I just washed car & let it dry & put it in garage for evening.The 2nd time it ran rough the fuel lite also came on? I within minutes filled tank with Sunoco reg fuel.(11.2 gallons) other than these details that is all I can provide.(IT DIDNT DO IT TODAY?? ) This car is posessed...... Mechanic cant fix something that doesnt happen or appear on computer? IM STUMPED!! trade it?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 12:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Exclamation Re: HELP!!! ROUGH IDLE IN AM!!IDEAS??

Possible moisture in the tank that got sucked up when fuel level was low?
Just a thought.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 17 Oct 2007, 12:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'll dry some dry gas ( can)