Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C Smells Terrible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2007, 04:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C Smells Terrible

I have a 2005 Touring Edition.............. Whenever I first start the car with the A/C on there is a strong vinegar smell coming from the vents which lasts for the first couple of minutes and then it seems to be okay. It doesn't happen every time, but it does happen most of the time. Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Smells Terrible

Chrysler has a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for your problem:

NUMBER: 24-013-05
GROUP: Heating & A/C
DATE: August 4, 2005

SUBJECT:
A/C Cooling Coil Odor

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting for leaves and other foreign material, cleaning, and
treating the cooling coil and housing.

MODELS:

2002 (PG) PT Cruiser (International Markets)
1995 - 2005 (PL) Neon/SX 2.0
2001 - 2006 (PT) PT Cruiser
2001 - 2006 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
2001 - 2006 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
2001 - 2005 (ST) Sebring Coupe/Stratus Coupe

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some vehicle operators may experience a musty odor from the A/C system, primarily at
start up in hot and humid climates. This odor may be the result of microbial growth on the
cooling coil. During normal A/C system operation, condensation forms in and around the
A/C cooling coil. When airborne pollutants mix with this condensation, bacteria and fungi
growth begins and odor results.

DIAGNOSIS:

If the operator describes, or the technician experiences a musty odor when operating the
A/C system, perform the appropriate Repair Procedure based on the vehicle model.

There's a lot more to this TSB but too long to print it all out in this forum. If your still under warranty take it back to the dealer, if not, it looks to be a couple hours labor:

TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
24-65-02-98 TJ 0.6 Hrs.
AB,CS,DR,DH,D1,KJ,PL 0.7 Hrs.
ST, VA 0.8 Hrs.
JR, LX, PG, PT, RG, RS, WJ, WG, WK, WH, XK 0.9 Hrs.
HB 1.0 Hrs.
AN, DN, LH, ND 1.1 Hrs.

One more thing. Some people have gotten rid of the odor by spraying FABREEZE into all the air ducts. It might take a few treatments.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 20 Oct 2007 at 08:03 am.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 08:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin........................
Old 20 Oct 2007, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You welcome Scott.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Oct 2007, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

A good dose of Lysol sprayed down the cabin air intake will clear it up. Had the same problem but a spray now and then and it's never come back.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 04:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I have an 06 bought brand new and only when I park it in direct sunlight or first turn on the AC after a long or even short ride it's got an oder like an air bag deployed the reason I notice this particular oder is that I tow cars for a living. So I no what that smell smell's like as a mater of fact the car stinks inside untill it cools off I never notice it with the heater on wich I am now using in Massachusetts. So by haveing a brand new car I don't see how I can have moldy stuff yet? Or tsb or tsp But the dealers told me hand a smelly tree inside and spray stuff in it now and then and leave open a window to air it out. I never had a car in my life smell as bad as the new PT Cruiser when I first get in on a hot day using the AC.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 08:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Keep taking it back until you are satisfied. Do you have a Lemon Law in your state? If so, tell them you want a new vehicle. I know, it is easier said than done.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar