Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Idle Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2007, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Idle Issues

My wife has a 2003 Cruiser with around 100 thousand K on it. Recently that car has been having idling issues. When the car is left to idle it idles up and down, up and down almost like it is going to stall. At first I thought it was only doing this when the engine was cold, but have been informed it is doing this even once the engine is warm.

Anyone know how I fix this?

We have tired switching fuels and that is not helping.

I do not know to much about engines and only want to get fixed "what is needed"...<smille>

Cory M

Alberta canada
Old 22 Oct 2007, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Idle Issues

Welcome to the forum Cory,

Your problem may be the IAC (Idle Air Controller) located on the side of the Throttle Body (yellow asterisk). Someone else had the same problem and all he did was take it off and clean it to solve his problem rather than replace the part.

On a side note; do you happen to know if your timing belt and other related parts were changed. Everyone recommends (at the 100,000 mile mark) that the timing belt be replaced along with the belt tensioner. Since it's a time consuming job, most people also change the water pump (also wears out with mileage) and the regualr drive belts. It's an expensive job but if you have that kind of mileage and plan on keeping the car awhile, it's well worth it.
Old 23 Oct 2007, 07:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Idle Issues

Welcome, Cory.
I agree (as usual) with Crewzin about both items.
Post back with how you make out.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles