Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Reliability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2007, 08:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Reliability

I have an LE 5 speed purchased in Feb. 2002. It only has 48000 miles due to it being a local driver back and forth to work and mostly short trips under 300 miles. The only mod was to remove the intake silencer and open up the intake to a full 3" opening and adding a K&N filter. I have a lifetime $10 oil & filter change from the dealer so I change oil every 3 months regardless of mileage. I run injector cleaner thru the system once a month and regularly monitor tire pressure. I find if I stick to the speed limit and keep shifting points to 3000 RPMs or less I regularly get around 25 MPG on my daily drive, half expressway half city streets. I did drive it to Indiana when it was new and got 30+ MPG by staying at 65 MPH using the cruise. Other than oil changes the car has never been in the shop. I installed a new battery last year and new tires because the Goodyears were crap. I'm in my 60's and have a lot of cars over the years and this is one of the most relable I have ever owned. I'd like to know how many other PT owners are having the same kind of reliability I am.
Old 23 Oct 2007, 07:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Reliability

Welcome.
I had an '02 that I put 87,000 miles on and traded in on my '05, which I just passed 55,000 miles with.
On both, I found the stock spark plug wires would give me a "miss" or "stumble" every now and then - replaced with Crane wires, and all is good.
No problems on either one, other than that.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles