Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Grinding noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Oct 2007, 05:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Grinding noise

We bought a 2001 PT and have had it a few months. Lately, we've been noticing a grinding noise mostly when applying the brakes. We took it in for the mechanic to listen to and of course the noise stopped. We had him go ahead and replace the brake pads. The grind is still there and it is mostly when braking and when turning to the right. It sounds like metal is dragging but we checked and it's not. Anyone ever heard of this problem?
Old 24 Oct 2007, 06:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Grinding noise

Welcome to the forum,

Sounds almost like a wheel bearing. You've narrowed it down a bit, try and pinpoint a particular wheel. Have someone stand outside one side at a time as you brake and turn. if you can't take it back to your mechanic and have him dig deeper into the wheel.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 06:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. The noise sounds like its on the left side. It's my daughters car and she needs it to drive to school so we need to work around that if we can. Is this something that is major serious and needs to be fixed asap?
Old 24 Oct 2007, 06:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it IS a wheel bearing, you don't want to drive on it too long as if it gives out all the way, the wheel could collapse while driving. If school is just a few miles one way, then it will probably last awhile, but I'm just guessing at the bearing problem. Hopefully the mechanic looked for other brake problems when replacing the pads and not just throw pads on there without looking around. There's an anti-rattle clip on each brake and if it's put on wrong, left off, bent or broke it could cause noise.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We will take it in tomorrow then. How scary!
Old 24 Oct 2007, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't mean to scare you, but noise from the wheels or braking system shouldn't be ignored and it's good that your on top of it.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 07:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the input. I will take it in tomorrow and report back how it goes.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 07:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a squealing noise, took it to the dealer, it was the ceramic brakes had glazed over, buffed of the glaze. Fixed for now. Hopefully yours will be as simple.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 Oct 2007, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quick question before I take it in. About how much should it cost to fix the bearings on one side? I know I should do both sides, I just want to have an estimate when I go in. I'm taking it in myself, and I know some places like to take advantage when they see the wife drive up.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 11:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hard to say. Seeing it's a dealer, they'll probably go for about 2 hours labor plus parts plus the soap & water they use to clean up along with mopping the floor when your done and disposal of the old bearing. Of course the invoice will say it's all miscellaneous expense.