Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Disc Brake Pads and Rotors .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2003, 01:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Disc Brake Pads and Rotors .

I had recently have to replace both my front disc pads and front rotors on my 2002 PT. The dealer replaced with OEM disc pads and rotors that was very expensive. The PT had 20,000 miles on the pads and rotors. I except this is not the standard for any automobile that I ever owned.
Has anyone experience low mileage wear for disc pads and rotors?
Old 08 Jul 2003, 11:55 am
Young Cruiser

I had to have my front pads replaced at about 20K on my 2001.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 12:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Bosch

I got 25,000 out of my front set but I also really trashed the rotors for waiting so long. $230.00 for front pads and rotors I did the labor. So 20,000 is about the average, from what I have read from other PT owners..
Driving a 2001 27F Patriot Blue! Blue Flamed Floor Mats. Blue Flamed Seat Covers. Flameball blue \"Hair\" shiftknob. Blue behind the grll neons. FlowMaster Exhaust. Freedom Design Strut Tower Brace. Painted Smoothies. Road Runner horn! Meep Meep!
Old 11 Jul 2003, 05:46 am
Senior Cruiser

So I came out better than I thought. Just had to replace the front pad and rotors reat 31900 miles. Guess I waited too long as well.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 10:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just Had all the pads replaced and the rotors cut at 45,000 miles I thought they should have lasted a little bit later but who knows I very happy I got that kind of mileage out of them.....Bill

Old 03 Nov 2005, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[8)]

OK... here's my deal... I have a 2002 PT with less than 30,000 miles on it! The torque convertor took a dive! I had to pay $100. for Chrysler's screw up! While it is there they noticed that the lower control arm bushings were shot! $700. to replace the arms with the newer bushings. I have owned cars (Chevys) that had over 100,000 miles and never had to replace the control arm bushings! Anyway, I called Chrysler and complained and they took care of the control arms but I have to pay another $100. They said I need front brake pads soon but I can do that myself! Sheeesh... I guess we are all Chrysler's test pilots!
Old 03 Nov 2005, 10:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Go with ceramics, NAPA, PEP BOYS etc. No dust, you won't be sorry!!!
Old 03 Nov 2005, 11:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rich Slider

I had recently have to replace both my front disc pads and front rotors on my 2002 PT. The dealer replaced with OEM disc pads and rotors that was very expensive. The PT had 20,000 miles on the pads and rotors. I except this is not the standard for any automobile that I ever owned.
Has anyone experience low mileage wear for disc pads and rotors?
I've run into the 20k miles pad and rotor replacement several times with new cars, starting with my 1976 Capri II. Now I just change the pads before they get to 15k miles. Then I'm good for the long haul. Before low dust Ceramic pads came out, I used to use metallic pads exclusively...excellent wet and dry performance with minimum heat fade and they seem to last forever. Problem with metallic pads is that they don't make any noise when it's time to change them, so you have to do a visual inspection every so often and they tend to blacken the wheels. Maybe I've had bad luck, but I just don't trust the brake pads installed on the assembly line.

[8)]
Old 04 Nov 2005, 08:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My opinion is that the rotors are too thin and too soft, and that the stock pads are made of compressed dust.
On my '02, I replaced the pads with raybestos ceramics, and the rotors with the best ones from NAPA - Braking was much improved, they lasted, and NO DUST.[?]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Nov 2005, 09:52 am
Young Cruiser

I made it 40,000 miles on my original pads and they still had quite a bit of pad left when I replaced them with ceramic. The rotors were fine when I replaced the pads but now they must be warping cause I have a shimmy when breaking hard. I plan to replace the rotors with drilled and slotted after Christmas. Got to take care of those grandkids first!