Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Accuracy of MPG Calculations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2007, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Accuracy of MPG Calculations

I have determined that the MPG calculator on my new 07 is in error when compared to the manual math. Anyone else observed this?
Old 07 Dec 2007, 11:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Arrow Re: Accuracy of MPG Calculations

QSDon would be the best resource. He's kept a detailed record of mileage and gas pumped over time.
Old 08 Dec 2007, 01:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Accuracy of MPG Calculations

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
QSDon would be the best resource. He's kept a detailed record of mileage and gas pumped over time.
Thanks, but I don't have the display in the car he's talking about.
If it's like the one in my wife's mini-van, it's instantaneous mileage - nail the gas, mileage indicated plummets, coast downhill and it would soar. It's only accurate at the moment it's displayed.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Dec 2007, 11:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. The calculator on mine does not change with downhill coasting etc. It changes very slowly which is desired.
Old 08 Dec 2007, 01:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The MPG calculator you are talking about is not at all accurate. I tried to work with that and gave up. I have for years kept track of my mileage in a little note book, miles driven, gallons purchased = MPG. I know what mileage each fill up.
Good Luck & welcome to the Forum

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Dec 2007, 02:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswaims View Post
I have determined that the MPG calculator on my new 07 is in error when compared to the manual math. Anyone else observed this?
I don't have this in my '05 Vert TE but I do have it in my '00 Grand Caravan Sport and for the most part it is fairly accurate but you have to use the overall setting not the instaneous one because as QSD pointed out that is only at that instant.

I have a very involved Excel spreadsheet that I use and I compared it to what the car said and there always was a smal discrepancy. If you want to see my spread sheet let me know.

Regards
Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 13 Dec 2007, 04:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 06 PT GT and the computer says im getting 14.5 - 15.5 MPG. At my last fill up i bought 10 gallons and my milage from my last fill was 214 miles. Isnt that about 21.4 per gallon???? My computer display Never went over 15.5 MPG during the last 214 miles. Does anyone know why? Thanks. I just bought my GT last month and i LOVE it!!!!
Old 13 Dec 2007, 09:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

CentauriK3, Welcome to the Forum!!! Your question has been answered in this thread, please read them.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar