PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

engine swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2007, 10:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default engine swap

I just bought a 2003 PT that has a blown engine, threw a rod which blew holes in the block and oil pan. It had 89K miles. So I need to get another engine, can't just fix this one. So far no luck finding another PT motor, salvage yards want an arm for them, so I've been looking into what other motors I could put in the car. Either more power or better MPG, or both.

Haven't found much info at all. I was thinking of putting in a 2.0 from a Neon.
Or maybe something completely different, I got a get a very low mileage Saturn SL1 drivetrain. I have a Geo 1.0L motor too.

I'd appreciate any info or links to info. I read about the mothers 3.8 swap, sounded difficult, and its only a 180hp motor.

thanks, jack
Old 09 Dec 2007, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: engine swap

I'll add what info I can for the next person searching the archives for the same question and can't find any info.

It looks to me the best engine to swap in would be a rotary. Looks like it would easily fit. A hotrod turbo II motor can make a lot of power, 300hp no problem, and yet have much less weight than the 2.4L.

Since I'm in California, passing the smog check would be a real problem, so this doesn't seem a viable option, unless a 2003+ rx-8 setup was used, and that would be rather expensive.

Without detailed measurements, the older 80's 3.0 V6 seems both short and narrow and could fit. But doesn't seem to make all that much more power than the 2.4L, and also the smog check issue.

The newer 3.3L looked promising. Still investigating. May just replace the 2.4L, no-brainer there.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 06:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i dont know what you could do but keep us posted on whatever you do put in it !!
Old 10 Dec 2007, 06:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've been to lots of forums and the only engine swaps I've seen are to put in V8 engines with rear wheel drive and your talking big money or someone who's had a lot of mechanical experience.

Personally, I'd stick with trying to find a used PT turbo motor. You'll need the computer and wiring harness also but it will slip right in. The reason why the salvage yards are asking a lot is because Chrysler built them right to take on the extra hp of the turbo and they can be modded pretty easily way past the limits of the auto-transaxle.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 10 Dec 2007, 07:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
I. I was thinking of putting in a 2.0 from a Neon.
That'll fit. Export PTs can have a 2.0 L motor. Also, if you find a wrecked SRT-4, that 2.4L turbo is the same as the PT Turbo (except for intake).

Welcome.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Dec 2007, 08:04 am
Young Cruiser

I confess to not searching the archives, but had been wondering if anyone here has swapped in a complete SRT4 engine setup? I've seen wrecked SRT's for less than 2 grand...not pocket change but maybe cheaper than trading up to a GT from my NA. I'd just trade for a used SRT4 but #1...I'd be concerned about how a used one had been driven(like I'd drive it!)and #2...something about a grey haired wrinkled 6'2 265lb old fart climbing out of a SRT4....just ain't right. Like I used to say...Jake Plummer in a Bronco uniform was as wrong as Bill Clinton being the Pope. Some things ain't natural.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 11:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

The PT is a tall car, which makes it easy to get into and outof, a good thing for us old folks! I'm building another single-person car that is VERY low slung, more for long daily commutes than a grocery-getter, so getting in/out isn't so often.

More research, Chrysler 3.3 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia basically is the 3.3 and 3.8 are the same, and current so a 3.8 would be a good swap into the PT. HP and Torque similiar to the 2.4 Turbo. Put a turbo on the 3.8 and you'd get too much power. The wiki says the SRT-4 motor has different plumbing than the PT-GT. One for sale locally for $2.5K with only 8k miles, not cheap, but still alot of work to get into the PT.

Hate to disappoint, but right now taking the ghetto approach, and patching up my head, and got a 2.4L block from a '96 stratus at the pick-n-pull to get the car running again. It's a slightly different block, gonna try to make it work and get the car running again while I consider more options in the future.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
The wiki says the SRT-4 motor has different plumbing than the PT-GT.
That's what I said - intake, intercooler & cat on back on exhaust side are different.
If you're really serious about it there are lotsa PT GT and SRT4 gurus here:

PTCrew.com - ptcrew
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Dec 2007, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Looks like I may have a snag in the motor swap. The crank sensor on the '96 block is different than the 2003. It looked like it might just be relocated, but the '96 block sensor has a few cut-outs in the crank counter weight, and the 2003 looks like it has a bunch of fine tooth. So it's going to have a different output. Any ideas if the 2003 computer might still work with the earlier crank sensor? Or without the crank sensor? There is a cam sensor also.

thanks, Jack
Old 22 Dec 2007, 09:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Some one on the ptcrew.com forum tried something similar this and is stuck because the computers and wiring harnesses are different between the years and as you said the sensor output is different. He's may be looking for an older engine, maybe you could trade him.

Read the whole link, Here it is.
PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.