Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
my 2003 pt makes a squilling noise on start up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2007, 12:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default my 2003 pt makes a squilling noise on start up

my 2003 pt just started squilling about 2 wks ago and im not sure what the noise is. it happens when i start the car and continues while im driving. it sounds like it could be the fan belt, but could it be something else? i have 83000 miles on it and i just replaced the high pressure hose for the power sterring on 11-12-07 and the noise started right after that...... what it this noise????
Old 09 Dec 2007, 01:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: my 2003 pt makes a squilling noise on start up

Welcome.
I suspect it's your power steering belt. The fan is electric, so there is no "fan belt".
If you want to tackle it yourself:
PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Dec 2007, 02:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

so is this something i need to be really worried about or is it just a annoying noise that needs to be fixed when i can? and if and when it gets fixed what could the average cost of something like that add up to?
Old 09 Dec 2007, 08:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the noise started right after they worked on the high pressure hose, and it's coming from the Power Steering Belt as QSD suggested, take it back to the place that did the work. It probably just needs adjustment and it should be free to check it out and adjust it.
Old 09 Dec 2007, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

power steering belt !! for sure
Old 09 Dec 2007, 05:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I didn't know the power steering belt would make a squilling sound.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 09 Dec 2007, 06:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok so i had a friend of mine look at the car today, since the shops are closed, and he mentioned that it could be a "supertine belt"? what is that? and would that be costly to fix?
Old 09 Dec 2007, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, we've all been saying the (squealing) noise is from the Power steering pump belt, BUT, I've been looking up my parts manual and the Haynes book. Apparently the only single belt is for the Alternator. The drive (Serpentine) belt goes around the Power steering Pump/Air Conditioning Compressor/Air Pump/Drive Belt Tensioner and of course the main pulley that makes the belt move.

So the noise could be from the Steering Pump, but I don't know if that's adjustable. The Alternator is adjustable and the tensioner is supposed to keep the main drive (serpentine) belt tight against all the accessory pulleys.

By the way circe, they call it a "Serpentine" belt because it looks like a "Serpent" the way it snakes it's way around the accessory pulleys.
Old 09 Dec 2007, 08:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

As said, there are 2 belts in the pt, one belt is on a spring loaded tensioner, powering the power steering and AC compressor, and the other belt that powers the generator.

The generator belt is a strong possiblility because it isn't self-adjusting, it has to be adjusted manually. If it was left too loose, its gonna stay that way and squeek.

The other belt, could also be the problem if the tensioner is going bad. My wife's 2003 had to have the tensioner replaced, then replaced again when the new one was bad, within a week of the first replacement.

At 83,000 miles I would definetly change out the belts anyway, and have the tensioner checked.

Another possiblility for a squeak, or squeal, is if the power steering fluid is low, a different sounding squeal.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.

srg