Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Replacement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2007, 11:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Replacement?

Owner's manual does not mention a TB replacement ......Does it need to be replaced, when? and is the 2001 2.4 a NON interference engine?
Old 10 Dec 2007, 06:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Replacement?

Timing belt should be replaced at 120,000 miles. It is a non interference motor but I have seen them interfere!
Old 10 Dec 2007, 07:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
Timing belt should be replaced at 120,000 miles. It is a non interference motor but I have seen them interfere!
Correct on both counts, but the school of thought with a lot of owners is 100,000 for the belt (to be on the safe side) and to go for a new water pump and belt tensioner while your at it as they both wear out and you/mechanic is in the area for the belt so might as well do the others.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

just went through all of that. had it all replaced. 107,xxx
water pump took a dump so I had the TB and belts and tensioner replaced.
have the dealer do it though. the DOHC takes a tool that locks the pullies in place so they dont moved when tension is applied. it was worth saving me the headaches not to do it. was $300 labor. well spent.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Overboost,

Thinking about having the dealer do it also. Would like someone that has some experience with it and after talking with service manager and head mechanic, I was confident I found the right place after looking at a few other private garages.

I'll also go for the drive belts as you did. Can I ask what the parts prices were that you got? Total will do to get a rough estimate of the whole job. Have 90K now so it won't be too long.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
The true definition of "non-interference" is that valves won't hit pistons, BUT when the belt breaks, the valves can hit each other....
Better to catch it before it breaks.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Dec 2007, 09:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the good advice.....
Who knows of an Honest timing belt mechanic in the Fairfield, CA area?
Old 12 Dec 2007, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Who knows of an Honest timing belt mechanic in the Fairfield, CA area?

Old 13 Dec 2007, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If - when you do, do this you may want to go ahead and replace the oil pump at the same time - NOTE: the pully on the oil pump is a "press on" pully that HAS TO HAVE a special tool required by Chrysler to be installed properly. I know this because it happend to me and I'll pass it on to all. My "mechanic" did not know this and just pressed it on, now it took 25,000 miles for the front of the oil pump to wear out and pour oil. Just thought I'd mention that.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 03:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all.....It appears that I will need a complete new engine rebuild while I replace the TB....Oh, I forgot, I guess I also need new pistons too.
Where is that Rav4 EV I wanted in 2003?