Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
UK crd charging question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2007, 08:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default UK crd charging question

Hi, I'm a new PT owner in the UK (finally had the cash spare to get one ), it's a 2.2 diesel Ltd and the chap I bought it from had it standing for a while and it wouldn't start. We jumped it and I drove home with no problems, but as I expected the battery is dead.
I've ordered a new one, but want to charge this one and see if it will take.
(It's an '03 so it's probably due a new one anyhow).

Anyway, on to the question- can I charge the battery using the jump point under the hood? The local dealership says yes, but I've read comments against that on other forums, so I'm not too sure. If I disconnect the battery, which I'm told is positioned in the passenger seat footwell, (wish I'd known that before taking out the airbox looking for it!) should I expect any trouble when reconnecting, other than inputting the stereo code?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Old 14 Dec 2007, 10:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: UK crd charging question

Well, I've found the answer to my question by phoning a different dealer who's a little further away but seem to know what they're talking about- he referred to the other one as a disaster area and said they get lots of work from disgruntled customers of the first place. (of course, he would say that, though)

He said that the diesel cruisers have a gel battery that if it's completely dead will likely never charge up properly again, so I'm off to get a new battery- ah well, it'll be worth it.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Most of the owners/subscribers here only have the 2.4 liter gasoline (petrol) engines so glad you found your answer.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ta,
maybe I'll become a fountain of knowledge for anyone with a diesel

I'll just be happy to get it going- it's killing me to drive my old punto when there's a chromed black cruiser with flames down the side just sitting there!
Old 15 Dec 2007, 12:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
You do know there's a UK Cruiser site, don't you? You're more than welcome here, but as Crewzin noted, no diesels here...
Doesn't make sense about battery - clearly it gets charged when engine runs, so why couldn't you charge it?
The UK site is:
UK Cruisers Club Website dedicated to the Chrysler PT Cruiser

The general forum is free.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Dec 2007, 02:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cheers, I'll sign up there now.

I wondered about the battery, the car I've bought was sold by a guy who is at uni, so it was rarely being used. After a 2 and a half hour drive after buying it, the battery was still dead. The first thing the parts chap asked me was had it been standing for a long time.

I think I'll try charging the battery once it's out anyway and just see what happens.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceweasel View Post
I think I'll try charging the battery once it's out anyway and just see what happens.
Why not? you have nothing to lose.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles