Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 pt cruiser stalls when put into drive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2007, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 pt cruiser stalls when put into drive

04 pt cruiser 2.4 normal aspirated. goes into reverse ok, when put into drive it dies right away or when you accelerate a little it dies. starts up ok, sound ok. originally had dtc random misfire, which keeps reating, had other codes, but they won't come back, they were cam, crank, tps codes, i did replace cam sensor, the codes went away, only the p0300 random misfire comes on. i pulled #1 and the plug is worn by @.020" but it doesn't have any misses.
Any suggestions?
Old 22 Dec 2007, 05:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 04 pt cruiser stalls when put into drive

when you say the plug was worn by .020, what do you mean? was the plug gap .065? if it was id say replace them. were the codes one after the other, all at the same time, or what? i cant see a cam sensor fixing codes for the TPS or crank sensor. any recent work done, or was all this out of the blue?
Old 24 Dec 2007, 01:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't just replace the plugs, get some decent wires like Cranes from www.RaceAndStreet.com
Start with plugs & wires.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Dec 2007, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

UPDATE ON "04 PT CRUISER DIES INTO DRIVE..."
I JUST REPLACED THE PLUGS AT NORMAL GAP @.050" AND NEW WIRES.#1 PLUG WAS DEFECTIVE, MOVABLE INSULATOR. I PUT INTO DRIVE AFTER REPLACING AND IT MOVED 5 FEET AND DIED, AFTER THAT IT AGAIN DIES WHEN PUT INTO FORWARD GEARS ONLY. NO DTC'S NOW, IT SOUNDS A LITTLE BIT SMOOTHER, BUT TO NO AVAIL. I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL, I AM RUNNING OUT OF TIME
Old 25 Dec 2007, 06:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

YES THE GAP WAS .065", REPLACED THE PLUGS AND WIRES AND THE SAME PROBLEM, I DISCONNECTED THE IAC SINCE I CANNOT GET A MINIMUM AIR FLOW STATUS, IT DIES, THOUGHT THE IAC WAS SHORTED, NUT SHOWS A GOOD DUTY. CLEARED THE IAC CODE AND RECONNECTED. MY NEXT THOUGHT IS THE TPS? WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Old 25 Dec 2007, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

DID THAT, ANY OTHER THOUGHTS. I HEAR THE TORQUE CONVERTER, BUT I WOULD IMAGINE THIS DIEING WOULD HAPPEN IN REVERSE ALSO, WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Old 27 Dec 2007, 12:53 am
Cool Cruiser

so i take it that the car idles fine, the problem only happens when you place the car in drive? does it die when you rev it in park or N? if it revs fine in park, its not the TPS.

Now this may not be related but you have to throw this into the maybe category. I was working on a mitsubishi galant that had the smae problem you are having. I found the same spark plug condition you had (bad plug, shorting straight to the head) after replacing the plugs and wires, i still couldnt keep it started. towed it to the dealer. apparently the ECM was messed up due tot he shorting of the plug (feedback or some such thing). now im not completely sure on that diagnosis, but hey, it can happen.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

CCRMARATTA, Using all capitals ='s shouting. None of us are that hard of hearing that you need to shout.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar