PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air horns and OEM horns? At the same time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2007, 03:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DJmart
Default Air horns and OEM horns? At the same time?

Hey fellas,

A while back I installed the dual airhorn's for my PT, on a secondary switch. On the PT doityourself website I followed example 1.

For those with access:
Please Login

I used the relay and all.

Now I recently was fooling around with my car, and i activated both the OEM horns, AND the airhorns and was astonished at the sound! It was soooo cool!!!

Now with little modification, how can I run both horns at the same time using the center of the wheel switch?

Is this too hard?

Have a great holiday everyone!

-DJ
Old 24 Dec 2007, 03:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Air horns and OEM horns? At the same time?

tap into your existing horn wiring harness and use it to activate your air horns. a simple tap block will alow the use of both similtaneously.
Old 26 Dec 2007, 11:08 am
Regular Cruiser

The way the switch works in the interior of the car for the airhorns is completing a circuit to ground....

The OEM horns are the same way.... one is a hot wire one is negative... which should I tap into without creating unnecessary voltage to the relay.....

two wire run to the OEM horns as it is, one hot one ground.....

One wire run to the relay and off the switch to negative..

thanks
Old 27 Dec 2007, 12:36 am
Cool Cruiser

you have to hook into the POs feed to the OE horns. that is the switched voltage. as for your air horns, you need to switch the POS and NEG remote wires around. ground the ground and hook the POS to the POS on the OE horns. this way, when your OE horns go off, they activate the Relay allowing your air horns to go off.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 07:13 am
Regular Cruiser

I am a bit confused, but I will get it eventually.

Currently there is one wire from the relay going into the car.. that would be the positive to (86) on the relay. and from that switch inside the car the other terminal on the switch goes to ground. (-)

Now I'm confused where you said switch the wires around... are you saying switch them on the relay? The airhorn motor (-) goes to a grounding "block" and the positive goes to (87)

Sorry, sometimes I get mixed up in the wiring and have to be perfectly sure when I start the job :P

Thanks dude - much appreciated

-DJ
Old 27 Dec 2007, 11:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok lets see if i can make a visual. YOu have 4 wires coming out of your relay. 2 are the switched (power tot he horns, one from the batt to the relay, one from the relay to the horn) 2 that are remote (power to the switch inside the relay). 1 remote terminal should be grounded. the other should be tapped into your OE horns pos(+) feed (i believe a green/red wire). the switched wires remain unaffected. wiring is a complex language that is best spelled out in diagrams, words can be confusing.

the way you have it now to my understanding (and correct me if im wrong here):
one of your remote wires is on a constant hot(+) and the other wire runs into the cabin, through a A/M button then to ground.

if only you werent on the opposite end of the country, id have that whole thing done for you in a sec.... oh well.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 07:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Ok lets see if i can make a visual. YOu have 4 wires coming out of your relay. 2 are the switched (power tot he horns, one from the batt to the relay, one from the relay to the horn) 2 that are remote (power to the switch inside the relay). 1 remote terminal should be grounded. the other should be tapped into your OE horns pos(+) feed (i believe a green/red wire). the switched wires remain unaffected. wiring is a complex language that is best spelled out in diagrams, words can be confusing.

the way you have it now to my understanding (and correct me if im wrong here):
one of your remote wires is on a constant hot(+) and the other wire runs into the cabin, through a A/M button then to ground.

if only you werent on the opposite end of the country, id have that whole thing done for you in a sec.... oh well.

Alright I am not gonna do any explaining...

Here is the picture (schematic) that I followed. It is wired exactly this way.

http://empire.ispeeds.net/~djmart/pi.../hornwire1.jpg
Old 28 Dec 2007, 09:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

that helps a bunch! OK here we go. Ground number 86 to the body or a ground location on the car. then, unhook your splice that goes to 85, and and run a wire from 85 to your OE horns + wire (green/red). then you will have both horns simutaneously (is that spelled right?). better?
Old 28 Dec 2007, 10:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Makes sense now!!!!!

is it red or green? What is the best way to find the wire, makes me nervous near the airbags.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 11:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

best place to tie in to the horns is right near them. might have to remove your rt inner fender liner to gain access. its a green wire with red stripe leading tot he horns. should be easy to find, the other wire is black. I try to stay away from column harness wiring and almost all underdash wiring for the whole airbag reason, those things are darn expensive and dangerous to boot.

like i was saying, wiring is a complex language that is best expressed in diagrams. glad we could finally get on the same page .