PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Opinions on Mopar high performance plug wires needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2007, 12:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Opinions on Mopar high performance plug wires needed.

I was at the dealership today asking about changing plugs and wires.

They wanted about $200 to install new plugs, without new wires.

I asked if I doing it myself with after market wires would void my powertrain warranty. He said that if I used Mopar parts and did it correctly there would be no problem.

My question to you is about the quality of Mopar High Performance Wires.
Are they any good? If so I will just stick with them.

Does any of what I was told make sense?

If I installed Crane wires could that void my powertrain warranty? Would it possibly void the warranty of the ignition system?

These gray areas are what bothers me. I want my vehicle to run the best it
can.

Thanks for what input you can give,

Ron
Old 27 Dec 2007, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Opinions on Mopar high performance plug wires needed.

A couple of things. The first time I changed plugs and wires I used the Mopar Performance Wires that I got off eBay. They worked fine for over 20,000 miles and at that time I put on a chrome intake so since it was accessible, I changed the wires and plugs again this time using the Crane wires from Race & Street.

Both set of wires worked fine and I still have the same set of plugs and wires in with about 40,000 miles on them.

About the warranty. No matter what parts you use on your vehicle, weather they be Mopar or aftermarket, will not void your warranty unless it can be proven that the particular part had anything to do with the failure/problem that you have that the warranty came into play.

In other words, putting on lowering springs cannot be blamed for an engine failure, but might be the cause of suspension problems. Aftermarket wires won't and can't be blamed for a clutch failure or engine leak but could be the cause of internal engine failure if it was proved you might have done something wrong when you had the upper intake off while changing the wires. Bottom line, whatever part you use has to be proven to be the cause of the failure/problem to void any part of your warranty.

Here's a good interpretation of the ACT that covers warranties:

Keeping Your Mod's Warranty Intact - For Dummies
Old 27 Dec 2007, 09:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I bought MOPAR HP wires from my dealer almost 40K ago and have had NO problems with them. I replaced the original stock wires at 500 miles because of a slight hesitation. Also changed plugs at the same time. I have a set of plugs and stock wires for sale if you are interested !!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Dec 2007, 12:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I bought MOPAR HP wires from my dealer almost 40K ago and have had NO problems with them. I replaced the original stock wires at 500 miles because of a slight hesitation. Also changed plugs at the same time. I have a set of plugs and stock wires for sale if you are interested !!!
No thanks. LOl!!!

I think I'll go the Mopar way but I don't know if the dealership stocks Champion plugs. I'll look tomorrow.

Any specific torque wrench you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 28 Dec 2007, 04:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually you should have two wrenches, a foot pound and a inch pound. You will use the ' (foot) lb for the plugs and the " (inch) lb for the manifold. I got the plugs from Advance Auto, NAPA will also carry them. Wrench I got at NAPA ($35) and the " lb online about $25 w/ shipping. Neither of them are digital, they just "click" at the correct setting.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar