Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
yea it's the tranny!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2007, 09:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy yea it's the tranny!

just returned from a 200 mile round trip,retrieving my sons' 02 crusier.towed it home on my car trailer. he was driving home when trans just stopped. no gears at all just like it were in neutral,shifter moves with no problem. nothing going on. fluid level good,not burnt smelling,looks nice and red. been reading here just tonight[first time on here had to sign on]. anyway sounds like trans are a hot topic. is this a common thing with cruisers? car has 79,000 miles any help will help thanks!!!!!
Old 30 Dec 2007, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: yea it's the tranny!

No help in fixing your problem, just to tell you the auto trans has been a Chrysler problem for a long time. They have in use for many years in the Minivans before the PT. They can't take any kind of abuse and we recommend to everyone to do a full flush at around 50K using only Chryslers ATF +4 or the newer Synthetic (some call it ATF +5).
Old 30 Dec 2007, 10:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You should've gotten check engine light and error codes.
It might be the clutch packs and not need a whole new tranny.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Dec 2007, 11:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

there is a TSB outlining a problem with delayed shift/no shift engagement. sounds like the front pump goes bad causing delayed or loss of shift engagement. TSB number 21-004-05. could be related.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the help guys. my son got the car for free from his uncle, so i guess it is not all bad. i don't know if he ever changed the fluid before. yes the check engine light did come on. should i get just what is broken fixed or just get a complete rebuild and not worry about it for a long time[i hope]? do they have to pull the engine out with the trans to work on it? thanks again for your quick response
Old 31 Dec 2007, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

hi & welcome to the board soory your first post is a problem, sounds like it could be the front pump
Old 31 Dec 2007, 08:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcocruiser View Post
do they have to pull the engine out with the trans to work on it?

yes sadly...$$$$