Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New P.T. (2007) performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2008, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New P.T. (2007) performance

I own a 2007 P.T. I bought new in July. I recently rented a 2006 while mine was in for body work. Both cars have the same engine and are identical with the exception of a few interior accessories. The acceleration in the 2006 is far better than mine. When I compared driving the 2 cars back and forth I realized the position of the gas pedal is different. My 2007 pedal is in more of a horizontal position. The 06 pedal in a more vertical position performs better. I know this sounds crazy but I am sure this is what is making the difference. I notice the difference mainly when going from a stopped position. The 06 accelerates much quicker and smoother. When I asked the service manager at the dealership about adjusting the pedal he said "no" giving me a condescending look (I am a woman). I went from a 2004 Durango with a Hemi so I expected less performance from the motor but when I drove the 2006 I realized I am not getting the full performance possible from my car. My husband agrees with me that the 06 performed better and he also agrees that the gas pedals are positioned differently. Maybe if I send him in to speak to the service manager they might listen? Any ideas? Anyone else encounter this problem?
Old 01 Jan 2008, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New P.T. (2007) performance

I have a '06 and put PTeazer Brake & gas pedals on the car. I haven't heard of anything like that the pedal, mine is mostly vertical. Good Luck!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Jan 2008, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
News to me - I thought there were no changes between '06s and '07s.
If your husband agrees, then by all means have him go to dealer - you have nothing to lose.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Jan 2008, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Re: New P.T. (2007) performance

Not to be condescending....
but, the pedal position is likely not a significant factor. Having driven several different cars in recent years, what is different is.... how your foot rests on the pedal (heel on the carpet), and how efficient your foot is on pushing the pedal down. I've found that different cars require me to have the seat farther forward to be able to push my foot as effectively as I expect. Worst problem is stretching your leg & toes out too far to push "down" the gas pedal, when your heal is anchored with you too far away with the seat! Actually, for most pedal arms, you are actually pushing "forward".
***Otherwise, the difference is in the engine set up of the two cars: plugs, wires, dirty air filter, type of gas, etc. There are just too many other significant factors to consider.
****If (your mind is made up) about the pedal position, simply purchase and install an aftermarket pedal that is more vertical. Realize, this may require a modification in the curvature/shape of the accel pedal arm too. See my gallery for a look at body color coordinated pedal covers. But, to get what you want, you don't want a "cover". You want to replace the whole pedal with a part that "mounts' correctly to fit your PT!
Good Luck!
Old 05 Jan 2008, 10:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

I bought my 07 new in July and it currently has 5000 miles on it. The oil has been changed once at 3000 miles. Air filter, plugs & wires should still be in good shape. The 06 is a rental from Enterprise with 28k miles. Gas tank was empty when I picked it up and I filled the tank with regular at my usual gas station. I drive my car 98% of the time, my husband uses it rarely. I would presume the rental has had many different drivers. I don't know how diligent Enterprise is about servicing their cars but all things considered I would expect my car to perform better than the rental, wouldn't you? I put the drivers seat in both cars in the same position and since the cars are virtually identical I must be putting my foot in the same position on the gas pedal. As I said, went back and forth between the 2 cars and that is when I noticed the difference in the position of the pedal. Is anyone aware if Chrysler uses different gas pedals in the PT's?