Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Horrible shaking noise please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2008, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Horrible shaking noise please help

Hi i have been having this issue for a while now, when i'm driving, just below 2000 rpm, about 1800 it starts shaking and making this grind noise from the front right side, if i keep, accelerating above 2000 it goes away, you can also hear a bit, but less than when, reversing.
After reading a lot,doing some tests :

rev up on "N" or "P" , no noise. only on "D"
Parked pressing the brake, and accelerating, on "D" lots of noise.
All this at about 1800 rpm.

Cold weather, when its cold, is makes this noise all the time.
Hot weather, when is hot, there is no noise at all.

I have changed park plugs, ( not the wires couldn't find any) but still the same problem.
my guess would be , engine mount issues, on hot weather, the busings might get softer and bigger, that would stop the noise.
I have inspected the upper torque strut, i think it has some wear can't really be sure, but i can move it easily from right to left and left to right, it doesn't' seem to be firmly attached.

I need some help here, is my guess correct?, i heard about some people filling the mounts, with window weld, please some one can post a step by step tut. on how to do this?
Thanks.
Old 02 Jan 2008, 09:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Horrible shaking noise please help

csd, can you give us some info on the car? Turbo, NA, stick, auto? Mileage? Every little bit helps.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 Jan 2008, 12:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

2003 touring ATM, auto stick, Non turbo, it's metric has 80.000 km.
Old 03 Jan 2008, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

brakes ?? something in the tranny ??
Old 04 Jan 2008, 12:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't think it's the tranny, cause if i drive above 2000 rpms, and let the shifting happen over 2000 rpm, everything is smooth, no noise, the noise happens, at about 1800 rpms, at constant speed, shifting or not shifting at 1800 very noisy.
Old 04 Jan 2008, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

wheel beariing or brake rotor ??
Old 04 Jan 2008, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The front tires are flat i need to change them , the rear brake drum needs maintenance, regarding wheel bearing, i don't think it's that either cause, i tested the car not moving, pressed the break while on "drive" revd up to 1800, noise still there.
Old 04 Jan 2008, 11:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can't refute your theory. There are things like halfshafts that could vibrate, but wouldn't be temperature dependent. The rubber mounts would be.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Jan 2008, 02:38 am
Cool Cruiser

well there is a temperature affected part we could all be overlooking, the engine. main bearings that are getting loose or worn may cause a god awful racket at lower rpms and when cold and may get quieter at higher rpms due to increased oil pressure. the noise could be increased when you place a load upon the engine at a lower rpm, say placing the trans in drive while having your foot on the brake.... Other theories, torque converter could be going bad. clutch locking up when it isnt supposed to or simply the internals are out of balance and chewing themselves up. Front pump, also spinning when car isnt moving, can make a bunch of noise when going out, but that would affect shifting to some degree.
The noise couldnt be supension or driveshaft related as the noise happens whether the car is moving or not.
Old 05 Jan 2008, 03:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks that could be it, i made more tests, on cold weather, now, i tested it not putting any gear in, just on P and N, same thing at low RPM about 1800, i checked the lower torque strut, it looks worn but i can't tell for sure , can anyone post a description no how it should look or a picture, i read other posts, that had similar problem turned out to be the engine mounts.
I took this out of the service manual:

According to this it can be the wheel bearing, i would rule that out, cause when the car is not moving it still makes the noise, according to the service manual, my guess would be engine mount grounding against frame or body of vehicle.

Front end growl at constant speed, can be either C/V joint or engine mount.
I'm not a mechanic expert but i have skills, i never done engine mount, can anyone how has done this, please help me out, by step by step how to check and replace or fill the mounts.
Thanks.