PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
You guys will probably think I'm crazy..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2008, 11:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Default You guys will probably think I'm crazy..

And I would agree, but my situation is this: I have a 2001 PT, and I've been used to working on more, shall we say.. high-output cars. The PT is mine, and I've tried searching around for people who've done this sort of thing, but I've only found one instance and the guy dropped an enormous amount of money into it. I'd like to turbocharge my PT. I'm aware that the stock internals and whatnot can't handle enormous amounts of boost, so I'm thinking an application of only 6-8 lbs. and possibly pushing 250-300hp, without nitrous. I've found a TON of turbo applications for the SRT-4 (yes, I know, 2003-present are similar), and was wondering if (with some fabrication) one of those kits would work. And, like I said before, I'd be keeping the boost fairly low as to prevent anything from breaking.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

Oh, and as a closing statement, please, let's keep the "buy a <insert car name here>" comments to a minimum. I'm interested in modding THIS car.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: You guys will probably think I'm crazy..

Chris15, the Turbo Lite version only puts out 180hp, and I'm sure it has more than 6 to 8 pounds of boost to get the additional 30 horse power.If you spend that much money for a turbo we both know you won't be happy with just 6 to 8 lbs. boost, and unless you boost to 17 to 22 lbs you won't get 300 hp. If you have an auto tranny you will loose that as well as the engine.Sorry to burst your bubble!
Old 20 Jan 2008, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's something to read....

index

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 06:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Chris.
You aren't crazy, many feel as you do.
Do a search on Hahn - they made a turbo kit for the PT that was well done, and many used their kits happily.
I do think you should lower your sights from "250 - 300 HP", particularly if you have an automatic.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Jan 2008, 10:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'm amazed at the people who buy a na PT and then want to put lots of time amd tons of money into it to add a turbo. Last I heard Hahn no longer does the turbo for the PT.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 20 Jan 2008, 10:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback. So, basically if I don't plan to upgrade the internals, 250hp is an unrealistic goal. :/

Does anyone know if the block itself would be capable of handling that sort of power if pistons, rods and crank were upgraded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I'm amazed at the people who buy a na PT and then want to put lots of time amd tons of money into it to add a turbo. Last I heard Hahn no longer does the turbo for the PT.
I'm also not quite sure why you assume that I chose to buy the n/a version.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 02:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. So, basically if I don't plan to upgrade the internals, 250hp is an unrealistic goal. :/

Does anyone know if the block itself would be capable of handling that sort of power if pistons, rods and crank were upgraded?

I'm also not quite sure why you assume that I chose to buy the n/a version.
It's what you got.

I know people running 500-600+ whp with the turbo block. With upgraded internals 250 should be easy on the na block.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic

Last edited by Mean Green; 21 Jan 2008 at 03:07 am.