Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Screamin Demon Coils????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2008, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Screamin Demon Coils????

Anyone have anything positive to say or have experienced using this product with performance spark plugs and cables. Im trying to decide whether this would be worth spending money my on. Please advise... Current setup.... 2004 PT base/Airaid intake/Poweraid spacer/APC strut bar/Flowmaster 44 series exhaust. Thanks in advance!
Old 20 Jan 2008, 10:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Screamin Demon Coils????

Waste of money. Stock coil is more than adequate.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 21 Jan 2008, 03:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree. I have read many more posts about aftermarket coils going bad as opposed to the stock coils and the aftermarket do not really put out much more power than stock if any. Modern ignition systems are very efficient. As I am sure you have read though, get rid of the stock wires if you haven't already. They are the weakest link.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 22 Jan 2008, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with the others. Coil is fine, get better wires. I like the Crane wires from www.RaceAndStreet.com

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Jan 2008, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Screamin Demon Coils????

I have an '06 Limited Cruiser- I installed a Screaming Demon Coil--Pulse plugs- and 10mm
Magnecor wires.The coil was changed to maintain a more constant spark not for increased power. The combination is working fine, gas mileage has increased about 4 mile to the gallon, torque has increased considerable, and the foot pressure on the accelerator has not required much to get a fine response. I also put on new Cooper tires, sloted and drilled rotors with new pads on the front. Total performance has increased all the way around for me. Just for info.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 03:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer806 View Post
I have an '06 Limited Cruiser- I installed a Screaming Demon Coil--Pulse plugs- and 10mm
Magnecor wires.The coil was changed to maintain a more constant spark not for increased power. The combination is working fine, gas mileage has increased about 4 mile to the gallon, torque has increased considerable, and the foot pressure on the accelerator has not required much to get a fine response. I also put on new Cooper tires, sloted and drilled rotors with new pads on the front. Total performance has increased all the way around for me. Just for info.
As long as spark is pcm controlled the SD coil does nothing the stock coil doesn't do.

You basically did a tune up and that will give better throttle response and the feeling of a bit more power. The Magnecor wires are excellent wires. The jury is still out on the pulse plugs as there haven't been any real world numbers put out by people who have dynoed before and after. They are pretty spendy and people have been very happy with the OEM copper plugs and irridium plugs. Platinum plugs are great for the non turbo. But a fresh plug at tune up time is always going to be a benefit so the pulse plugs are going to be a good thing. I do have a problem with a 4 mpg gain from a tune up unless the car was badly in need of a tune up. There are a lot of variables for mpg, driver, road conditions, weather, car, etc and you can't get accurate mpg over just a few tankfuls. I can manipulate my mpg +/- 5 mpg with just my foot/driving habits.

Sounds like you've done some nice things to your car and that's a good thing and will make you enjoy it more.

Old 24 Jan 2008, 07:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Screamin Demon Coils????

Hi MeanGreen- Thanks for your critic---all opinions are welcome---just was reporting the facts as they are !---by the way--have only 20,000 miles on it and had changed oil every 3,000 mile-certainly did not need a tune up--also now use Amsoil Signature
0W-30W. I am sure that there are many other opinions/ options/ and products which I will look for in these forums and evaluate. Thanks Again
Old 24 Jan 2008, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wink Re: Screamin Demon Coils????

After reading a year and a half's worth on posts on the subject....on several PT forums.......
I am personally trying not to let my feelings get in the way of the facts in moding the new '06 Vert. As a health professional, I try to stick to the facts and scientific evidence, rather than anecdotal findings...hard to do sometimes.
You know what the psychologists say...."it's all in your head!"
Old 24 Jan 2008, 03:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer806 View Post
Hi MeanGreen- Thanks for your critic---all opinions are welcome---just was reporting the facts as they are !---by the way--have only 20,000 miles on it and had changed oil every 3,000 mile-certainly did not need a tune up--also now use Amsoil Signature
0W-30W. I am sure that there are many other opinions/ options/ and products which I will look for in these forums and evaluate. Thanks Again
My '01 PT w/auto tranny started out around 16-17 mpg. Needless to say my wife and I weren't very happy. As the miles got added the mpg went up. By the time we got up around 20k the mpg had climbed to 22-24 mpg. Up to a certain point the more broken in an engine becomes the better the mpg. Today's manufacturers try to squeeze every mpg they can out of a car. There are no magical add ons to significantly increase mpg or manufacturers would do it. The only control you have of mpg is a proper tune, proper tire inflation and good driver habits. I think it was Quicksilver Don who posted here or on another forum about mpg for the life of his car. That's hundreds of gallons of gas and thousands of miles driven. That is true mpg. Not doing a tuneup and calculating mpg over a few tankfuls.