Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cam Shaft Position Sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2008, 02:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Cam Shaft Position Sensor

Can anyone tell me the location of the "Cam Shaft Position Sensor". This is what my wife was told was needed for her 2004 Ltd.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 21 Jan 2008, 03:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cam Shaft Position Sensor

John,

Right side of the engine, towards the top, as your looking at it from the front. Directly in back of the oil dipstick on a non-turbo. Not sure if they changed anything on the turbo.

Now for some questions John. Is it the code that says you need a new sensor, or a mechanic? My code said I needed one, and it turned out to be burnt wires that come from that sensor and go to the computer. They run along the back of the engine and held up by cheap little clips. My clip broke which let the wires hang down low enough to touch the half shaft and burn through the insulation and cut the wires. When it does this, there's no signal from the cam shaft and the engine won't run. Dealer in South Carolina was about to sell me a new sensor when they put it on the lift and found the wires burnt. The sensor is expensive so make sure your getting the right diagnosis.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Jan 2008 at 03:20 pm.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 03:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

I can send you the pages out of the shop manual if you want to R&R yourself. It is fairly easy. PM me with email address if so. You need a torque wrench that measures inch pounds to install to spec.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 21 Jan 2008, 04:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
John,

Right side of the engine, towards the top, as your looking at it from the front. Directly in back of the oil dipstick on a non-turbo. Not sure if they changed anything on the turbo.

Now for some questions John. Is it the code that says you need a new sensor, or a mechanic? My code said I needed one, and it turned out to be burnt wires that come from that sensor and go to the computer. They run along the back of the engine and held up by cheap little clips. My clip broke which let the wires hang down low enough to touch the half shaft and burn through the insulation and cut the wires. When it does this, there's no signal from the cam shaft and the engine won't run. Dealer in South Carolina was about to sell me a new sensor when they put it on the lift and found the wires burnt. The sensor is expensive so make sure your getting the right diagnosis.
Thanks Carey,
Was not a mechanic. It's a computer code. Had it check at autozone as well for codes. I'll be sure to check all the wring before proceeding with any purchases.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 17 Mar 2008, 07:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Hey Carey,
Finally had a nice day and got around to changing the sensor on Jane's PT. Appears to have done the trick. Drove it all weekend and no further problems. I did trace the path of the wire and made sure it wasn not damaged before I bought the new part.

Old 17 Mar 2008, 07:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad it worked out for you John. Will be coming up your way at the end of April for my eldest grandson's Birthday on May 3rd. See ya.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay - Son-in-law's '03 GT got this p0340 code, engine bucked and ran like crap. I did a search and found this thread.
On a turbo, big air hose back from intercooler blocks view, so I took out airbox, and could see that way. Wires seemed okay, enter a protected wiring bundle...

How do you remove the connector? There's a red slider - I slid it over, but connector wouldn't budge - what's the trick on the connector????

Where's a good place to buy a sensor?

I took negative post off, reset CEL, started up, no CEL, no code, but in case it comes back....

1) getting connector off and 2) good (cheap) place to get sensor.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 12 Apr 2008 at 04:36 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 13 Apr 2008, 09:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Don, after moving the red slider over, push down the tab in the center of the connector and pull. I bought mine from the dealer as I don't think it's an off the shelf item. I think it was around $45.00. I also used silicone sealant for an extra good seal as the original cam sensor was leaking oil.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 05:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don,

Just got back from my weekend trip. Did Little Blue GT answer your question? Can you see how the connector comes apart?
Old 15 Apr 2008, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, he drove off, no CEL, and I haven't got a phone call. I think I know how to get it apart if problem comes back.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles