Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need no start help for 04 turbo!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2008, 07:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need no start help for 04 turbo!!

I have a pt turbo that wont start- I checked for spark and it had spark on all but #3cyl. so i replaced the coil pack- and now i have no spark, put on old coil to verify i didnt buy a dud and still no spark. I put a new auto shut down relay. I have 5volts reference to the orange wire in the crank and cam sensor. Is one of the wires on the coil supposed to be hot all the time? The only time any of the wires going to the coil is powered is the sec. the fuel pump primes. is the wire that powers the asd relay the wire that goes to the coil? I tried to test for pulses on the crank and cam sensors with a test light but got no? What am i doing wrong? I dont want to replace the crank and cam sensor and still have no spark
any suggestions would be appreciated-thanks
Old 24 Jan 2008, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Need no start help for 04 turbo!!

Did you throw any codes? Also is there a red security light on in your cluster? If the cam position sensor has sh*t the bed in will not start.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 09:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

for one kenroe, NEVER use a testlight to test sensors. You can inadvertantly send full voltage or ground to a wire that isnt supposed to be and could potentially fry a computer. always use a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) as these are self powered.

second, here is a summary of the ignition coil system.
High tension leads route to each cylinder from the coil. The coil fires two spark plugs every power stroke. One plug is the cylinder under compression, the other cylinder fires on the exhaust stroke. Coil number one fires cylinders 1 and 4. Coil number two fires cylinders 2 and 3. The PCM determines which of the coils to charge and fire at the correct time. The Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay provides battery voltage to the ignition coil. The PCM provides a ground contact (circuit) for energizing the coil. When the PCM breaks the contact, the energy in the coil primary transfers to the secondary causing the spark. The PCM will de-energize the ASD relay if it does not receive the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor inputs.

so check for juice at the asd relay. if it is de-energized, then you have a sensor issue. if not, then maybe a PCM issue.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, thats helpful. I was wondering if there is supposed to be 12 volts to the coil at all times when the ign. is on? I only see power coming on for a second when the fuel pump primes. I hope I didnt fry the ecm by using my test light. Where do i start on testing of the ecm? Thanks.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 12:59 am
Cool Cruiser

i do believe there should be 12V at the coil at all times the ignition is on. if there is only voltage for a brief second, that may be a sign that the ECM is de-energizing the ASD relay. test for voltage while someone is cranking if possible (carefully).
Old 25 Jan 2008, 08:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well I guess I need a step by step or a flow chart guys. How/were do i start eliminating each item?
Old 25 Jan 2008, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I found out that there is supposed to be power to the coil while cranking or running so the asd is doing its job. I replaced the crank pos sensor and still nothing!
Old 25 Jan 2008, 05:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah still working on it- found out i do have spark on cyl 1&3 only- thats what i get for not checking each one- This tells me that driver for #2 coil if dead in the computer?
Old 25 Jan 2008, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I mean- coil #2 driver is dead in ecm? pcm pin #3 - if they didnt fill it up wth jellied apoxy, maybe i could fix the circuit- Anyone heard of this problem?
Old 25 Jan 2008, 09:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

could be. have you back probed it and checked to see if you have any signal (ground signal i believe) coming from it? if youve got nothing coming fromt he ECM, perhaps the ECM is to blame. check the coil#2 driver wire at the coil, if you have signal then its the coil. if you dont, move up to the harness connector coming from the ECM. If you have signal there, its the wiring. if you dont, then ECM.