Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
oil light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default oil light

went to test drive a 2004 cruiser w/ 30k miles on it today. the oil light came on when i crunk it up so i turned it off. when i turned the car back on the light went off. the car drove perfect other than this light. what could this be and should i not consider purchasing this car for this reason?
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: oil light

A couple of months ago when I did my last oil change, I had mistakenly filled the car with three quarts instead of what it usually takes (about 5) and had driven it for over 3500 miles. When I was going around a sharp turn rather quickly, my oil light came on. However, when I straightened out, the light shut off. It could be that the car is just low on oil.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I checked that but the car had plenty of oil in it. i walked away from it because of it. overall is the cruiser a good reliable car?
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu2311 View Post
I checked that but the car had plenty of oil in it. i walked away from it because of it. overall is the cruiser a good reliable car?
I will admit that that is strange. However, I must also tell you that I have had zero problems with this car since the day I bought it, August 27, 2003. Since then I've put about 43000 miles on it and its been an absolute pleasure to have. It starts every morning without hesitation, can go over 100 on the freeway without breaking a sweat and still, no problems. All I have done to it is just changed the oil every 3000 with Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor oil. So if you take care of these cars, they will take care of you.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for that input. My heart is sat on a pt cruiser now so i will consider later on one.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: oil light

Was it a cold day?
(should have just watched the light the first time to see if it STAYED ON)
Old 26 Jan 2008, 05:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no it was not a cold day and the light went off once the can was turned off and turned back on.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 05:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

It is the oil pressure sending unit. I have replaced it twice on my 03 GT. It starts off with the light going on once in a while to nearly every time you start up, and goes out if you turn the engineoff, then back on. I bought the special socket from PeP boys to install and remove the sending unit, and I'm glad I did.