PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Replacing O2 sensor in 2006 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2008, 11:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Replacing O2 sensor in 2006 PT Cruiser

My dad wants to replace the O2 sensor in his 2006 PT Cruiser to help improve the gas mileage. We can't find a repair manual anywhere. Does anyone have any instructions (hopefully with pictures), that would help us?
Old 27 Jan 2008, 01:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing O2 sensor in 2006 PT Cruiser

are you kicking a code that leads you to believe that you have a bad sensor? unless the car has 60k miles on it already i doubt the O2 sensors need replacing. replace the air filter, PCV valve, Spark plugs and wires (stocks are terrible), inflate the tires to proper inflation, and change your oil every 3000 miles. dont expect great mileage from these cars. the best ive pulled down with my 06 N/a auto is 24mpg, which is rediculous in comparison to the 35mpg in my old lady's Nissan altima. it is the sad reality of the PT.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 06:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cartman, while your there.

I've just past 91K on mine. Haven't replaced the 02 sensor. No codes, running fine.

1. Should I replace it anyway? 2. I know where it is (center of picture right above exhaust outlet) but do I need a special tool to take it out and, where the the wire that's on top of the sensor go to? Can I reach the wire end from above?

Thanks.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Jan 2008 at 07:35 pm.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 07:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No, no codes showing, and there's only 32,000 miles on it, but my cousin was telling my dad that it may be bad even if a code isn't showing up. I'd be interested to know the answer to Crewzin's questions, too, about if you need a special tool and where the wire goes. I really appreciate your help. Thanks to Crewzin for the picture!
Old 27 Jan 2008, 08:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

even if it is bad it's covered under the emmisions warranty to 80,000 miles
Old 27 Jan 2008, 11:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

There are actually 2 O2 sensors on the PTs, one in the exhaust manifold itself, and the other in the catalytic converter. You can purchase a sensor socket at any autoparts store, or you can use a wrench. the sockets are usually preferred due tot he fact that the sensors are usually on there pretty tight and the extra leverage of a breaker bar is required. as for replacement intervals, that depends on driving habits. Ive had to replace them at 60k on some vehicles, and others have over 100k on them and work great. 75 - 80k Is usually the recommended interval for most O2 sensors.
Crewzin - the wire that leads to the connector for the upstream sensor is only like 6in long and leads to a main harness. you should be able to reach the connector from the top without too much hassle, although if you can get under the car, from underneath is much easier.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 01:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, thanks. So, the wires lead to the harness then I guess they come off the top of the sensor to replace that sensor.

Thanks.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 28 Jan 2008, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Probably have one of those "funny" clips to remove the wire.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Jan 2008, 10:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

the wires come off the sensor and lead to a connector on the harness, sorry should have made that more clear.
Old 02 Feb 2008, 11:59 am
Cool Cruiser

There is no way in god's green earth that an O2 sensor with only 30K miles on it is even close to bad. I consider myself a car maintenance fanatic. I change my tranny fluid every 3K-6K miles for Christ sakes. I wouldn't even THINK about replacing an O2 sensor until it was well over 60K miles. And if it did go bad for some reason, I'd take it to the dealership and argue it was poorly made, and not 'general wear'. Just like the time I had a car with 6K miles have the spark plug wires go bad. There's just no way.

If you're just really bored or something, you can go ahead and replace the O2 sensor closest to the engine. That's the one that primarily adjusts your O2/fuel mixture. The rear one by the cat will typically last even longer than the front sensor and it's for emissions more than fuel economy anyways.