Advertisements
Airbag warning light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2008, 06:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to worldwideboy
Question Airbag warning light

Hi guys,
Have a 2004 PT Cruiser classic, the other day while driver for no reason at all the airbag warning light came on, have checked fuses and they are all ok. Any ideas what has caused this and would it costly to fix.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 12:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Airbag warning light

there are a number of things that can couse that light to come on. unfortuneately you cant display airbag codes on your guage cluster. you need to take the car in and have a bodyshop or mechanic hook it up to a scan tool to read those codes. you can try disconnecting your NEG battery cable for about 10 minutes to see if that gets rid of the light. if not, then the code is active and needs attention. good luck.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Happened to me several months ago. Light came on a while after I had really banged the horn. I stared at the light, and thought, "Great, now a trip to the dealer", and punched the horn out of frustration, and light went out! A day later, light (and chime) return - I remembered, and hit the padded center area a few times, and again light went out. Day or 2 later, light & chime again, banged around edge of the padded area toward the center, light went out and has stayed off since.
I figure a loose connector/sensor.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Jan 2008, 01:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to worldwideboy

Thanks for the info guys, will most likely have to take it into the dealers if your suggestion don't work.
Old 04 Dec 2008, 03:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2006 Touring Edition with a similar problem. I reseated electrical connectors under the passenger seat and the problem went away.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 05:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Airbag warning light

]If you pounded on the steering wheel and the light went out it is probably the CLOCK SPRING inside the column. Please be aware that messing with the wires in that area can and will trigger the air bag and it will deploy and if you are in front of it you WILL get hurt. Even with the battery disconnected if there is any static from your clothes or hands from your butt sliding on the seat (especially in the dry winter) it can trigger the bag.The CLOCK SPRING is a coiled wire to connect the steering wheel to the column so it can remain connected when you turn the wheel.(NOTHING to do with the radio or clock).It can wear out or if the bag has ever been deployed it breaks/weakens the spring..Now with that said if it;s the passenger side only lite, check under the seat for the connector. I fixed one for a guy that he had jammed poles under the seat and shredded the wires, I just soldered them back together and REHOOKED the battery cable I had taken off.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfixit View Post
]If you pounded on the steering wheel and the light went out it is probably the CLOCK SPRING inside the column. Please be aware that messing with the wires in that area can and will trigger the air bag and it will deploy and if you are in front of it you WILL get hurt. Even with the battery disconnected if there is any static from your clothes or hands from your butt sliding on the seat (especially in the dry winter) it can trigger the bag.The CLOCK SPRING is a coiled wire to connect the steering wheel to the column so it can remain connected when you turn the wheel.(NOTHING to do with the radio or clock).It can wear out or if the bag has ever been deployed it breaks/weakens the spring..Now with that said if it;s the passenger side only lite, check under the seat for the connector. I fixed one for a guy that he had jammed poles under the seat and shredded the wires, I just soldered them back together and REHOOKED the battery cable I had taken off.
Just letting you know its been a long time since anyone has posted on this thread.