Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
fog lamp fuse blowing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2008, 11:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default fog lamp fuse blowing

Hi everyone...I am new...just bought a 2001 Touring Edition and I am having a couple of problems. The fog lights are not working, so I checked the fuse and sure enough it was blown...problem is every time I put a new one in it immediatly blows also...any ideas? The other issue may or may not be related, but when I turn on the interior lights manually I have to start the car to get them off...the won't turn off just using the switch. Thanks in advance if anyone has answers.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 12:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: fog lamp fuse blowing

Simple things first:
Fog lights problem sounds like a short somewhere. I'd pop the bulbs out and double check the contacts for corrosion, and the they have the proper bulb. If you are electrically inclined you can check resistance for a short there. If everything checks out there, it could be the multifunction switch on the steering column.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: fog lamp fuse blowing

WELCOME to the forum,

The interior lights. Are you giving it enough time to turn off themselves before you start the engine to turn them off. There's a built in timer (about 3-5 minutes) that goes on whenever the interior lights are lit. They go off, as I said, in about 3 to 5 minutes OR when the engine is started.

Blown fuse. I would bet on the multifunction stalk (as Soonercruiser said) being burnt out and causing a short which blows the fuse. It will cost you anywhere from $50 to $70 to replace the stalk yourself or a lot more if you let the dealer do it.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 02:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum, smilanatu. IF and I said IF you have to get a MF switch say from a salvage yard make sure it is from a PT that had fog lamps. Chrysler makes a MF switch for either Fog Lamps or non Fog Lamps.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 Jan 2008, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey...thanks for the suggestions! As you can imagine I am about as electrically inclined as a field mouse...LOL. I could manage changing the MFS if necessary, but that's about all I got in me. Here's another question...why is there a spot for fog lamp fuses under the hood and under the dash and do I need both for the lights to work?
Old 29 Jan 2008, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In my 2001 Owners manual, the 20amp fuse number #21 is listed "Fog Lights (Build-Up Export Only)". Do you actually have a fuse in the #21 spot?

In the Export models (like England), the PT's have red fog lamps in the rear of the car for foggy days/nights by law. The white/red lights that we have for backing up (reverse lights) are ALL RED in the overseas models with half being reflectors and half being the fog lamps.

When I had my Corvette over in England, I had to add amber turn signal lights and a 21watt red light under the rear bumper for fog before I could take the car on the road.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 Jan 2008 at 04:08 pm.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 04:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nope...no fuse in that slot. So what exactly does build-up export only mean?
Old 29 Jan 2008, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I added an explanation in the post above about the rear fog lights.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay, just for my clarity...build up export only is for oversaes back-up lights therefore I only need a fuse under the dash...which is the fuse that blows instantly.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Right....as you said, there's no fuse in the #21 slot under the hood so the fuse inside the car, #8 15amp should be the only fuse for the front fogs.