Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
the demon in my crzr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2008, 08:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default the demon in my crzr

'03 PT, At the end of '05 the demon hit. The indicator lights come on, the gauges go to 0 or empty, the dome light comes on & chime alarm sounds. Dealership was nice enough to take in in under warranty, had it for 2 weeks and said they fixed it. Replaced defective dash cluster unit. Well, 2/07 the same thing happens and the dealer is sorry that it is out of warranty so I pay $80.+ to have battery cleaned, electrical lube added to cluster connector. Few weeks later it did it again-ok not fixed. I kept driving it. The check engine would come on also. Of course after a little bit it would go out. No problems through the summer. Hello, winter & cold weather and the demon is BAACCKKK! Hitting a bump in the road will set it off and another one would reset it. Any clues on this. I feel the dealer did not have a clue what it was and thought I was crazy.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: the demon in my crzr

Gina,

Welcome to the forum. It's not going to help you much, but it seems like a no brainer to what's wrong. You hit a bump, it goes out, you hit another bump and it's OK. There's a short circuit or bad connection probably in the cluster area, maybe even the same connector the dealer lubed.

Somehow your going to have to get to the wiring harness and start shaking and pulling till the right wire or connection is found. Lots of labor time ahead.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i agree with crewzin alot of time to do all that
Old 01 Feb 2008, 12:38 am
Cool Cruiser

the connector is clipped in to the dash. then the cluster is pushed into the dash to connect the connector. the connecotr could have pushed back slightly, so when the cluster is fully seated the connection is loose. or the screws that hold the cluster in and tight tot he connector could have been left loose or completely out by a tech in a hurry. either way would casue the problem everytime you hit a bump.