PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New remote programming

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: New remote programming

Yes, though I have never done it; I understand that if he has the proper tool, a locksmith can and will do it for a lot less than the dealer. I don't know what % of locksmiths have the tool nor how much it costs thru them or the dealer. This is good reason to have 2 remotes and 3 keys. You can recover from a loss with a cheap internet purchase and program the new one yourself....

Are you sure it works? A simple battery change should not disturb the car's programming of keys and remotes.

Last edited by Mal; 15 Sep 2009 at 08:47 am.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

The remote quit working and I changed the batteries...it still did not work. What tool do I look for on the Internet to do this myself?
Old 15 Sep 2009, 06:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

The tool is, no doubt, prohibitively expensive. I would call around to a few locksmiths or go to a dealer. There is a chance that your remote doesn't work at all. The battery change shouldn't affect anything.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 05:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

I have a remote I got off of eBay that I tried programing, but it doesn't seem to want to enterthe programing mode. I have 2 keys 1 fob + the eBay fob. Any ideas?

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Programming the fob, I can't say. When I did mine on the '01; I had to try 2 or 3 times varying the rate at which I cycled the key before it worked. I don't remember if that was the key or the fob. IIRC, slower worked better....
Old 21 Sep 2009, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Went to dealer...remote is working OK...receiver in car is not. $85 to replace module in car...OUCH!!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 08:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

That really sounds like a deal to me; I didn't think dealers let you near the service area for less than a C note.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 08:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Need assistance please. Does anyone know if the instructions listed here will work with a 2007 PT Cruiser (Touring Edition if that makes any difference).

Lost one of our keys Only have ONE original key. Dealership quoted $190 for the key with an additional $100 for reprogramming the first key. I'm fine with paying $100 and programming it ourselves but $300 is insane.

Appreciate any help you can give me. Last keyfob I bought was $50 for a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:55 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: New remote (key) programming

As far as I could find out, it takes 2 keys to self program one and a working remote to program another remote. You are pretty much at the mercy of the dealer or better and likely cheaper, a locksmith for another key.

Here's what I would do: A 07 PT is not really a high value car, that much security (IMHO) is ridiculous in such a car. Make 2 copies of your existing key. They will start the car but the car will shut down in a few seconds. If the original key is near it's normal position, the car will start and run. When you find a good location (under the lower cover is good) that works, tape the old key out of sight and use the cut keys at will. If you are paranoid about theft, cut the old key's metal off. If not, you have a spare somewhat out of the way.

Buy and program another remote if you now have only one or risk the same thing happening there.

Last edited by Mal; 29 Jul 2011 at 11:26 am.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:50 am
Regular Cruiser

Call a locksmith, especially a mobile one. Virtually all the reputable ones these days are able to program both RKE remotes and transponder keys just like the dealer. If you happen to have AAA, you can probably call them for a referral.

FWIW, I just had two remotes and one key made by a mobile guy. Total cost was $140 - much better than the dealer's quote of almost $300.