Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How about a "normal" Stainless Exhaust?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2003, 02:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default How about a "normal" Stainless Exhaust?

PTs are coming of age and will soon have to get their pipes replaced.

Is someone going to make a nice replacement system that's OEM quiet? Personally, I don't mind the louder Borla, etc. but I'm thinking of those of us who want a nice polished look w/o the noise... and price pointed at the OEM or (gag gag) Car X systems.

BTW, I'm specifying stainless because I live in the salt belt.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 07:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

IMHO, it would probably be cheaper to go to your local muffler shop and have them build a custom Stainless Steel system for you or at least replace the front pipes, and you could probably ask for stainless tubing in the stock or OEM thickness of 16 gauge or thicker instead of the 18 gauge most aftermarket systems are using. Muffler choice is up to you (stock or aftermarket), discuss your requirements with your muffler shop. If you replace the front pipes, buying or adding a Euro system (most are axle back and stainless steel, plus meet europe's strict noise laws while allowing a relatively free flow exhaust) is another alternative. For a dual pipe system, Remus, part# 116000-1580TD; MS-Design, part # MSES.CH.20.00.0656; Laser, part # 90.84005MM; etc.
Remus

MS-Design (Note: either side can be independently adjusted for height/clearance and the pipes are powder coated black)

Laser
Old 21 Jul 2003, 01:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stephen R.

PTs are coming of age and will soon have to get their pipes replaced.

Is someone going to make a nice replacement system that's OEM quiet? Personally, I don't mind the louder Borla, etc. but I'm thinking of those of us who want a nice polished look w/o the noise... and price pointed at the OEM or (gag gag) Car X systems.

BTW, I'm specifying stainless because I live in the salt belt.
Isn't the stock system stainless? My 85 Daytona, My 89 Daytona and my 97 Avenger came stock with stainless exhaust. I just assumed that my 03 PT would be the same.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 08:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

When I took off my OEM exhaust to add after market, it was rusty as could be. It had less than 10k on it.[:I]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 28 Jul 2003, 02:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

wow, i had no idea that Remus made an aftermarket system!!! They are a kick ass company and have been shown to have great results on VW turbos....what sort of price is it?
Old 28 Jul 2003, 04:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by COP TZER

wow, i had no idea that Remus made an aftermarket system!!! They are a kick ass company and have been shown to have great results on VW turbos....what sort of price is it?
Price varies with the dealer ($300-429)and the current exchange rate, the MS-Design is also made by Remus and the only difference is in the exhaust tips. The Remus has baffles, while the MS-Design tips has a solid tube (no baffles or holes in the non-removable tubing insert) inside what is basically an expansion chamber tip(s). Both sound good with no noticible drone inside the cabin at any rpm or speed and back pressure seems non-existent (blew some cigarette smoke in the inlet and the smoke just seemed to immediately flow out the tips). The Laser system Tips has a rifled or "turbine baffle" which slightly spins the exhaust gas out the tips, it's a bit louder, and is a popular system installed overseas. All the above systems use the stock muffler hangers and has a bolt in spot to reattach the OEM grounding strap. Dual systems include the extra hardware needed to mount the right side pipe.

Most people tend to buy the locally available systems, like Borla, Bassini, Scottsdale, BTG, HeartThrob, Thermal Research R&D, etc.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 01:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

My buddy has Remus on his Subi. He says this is a top-of-the-line system in build quality AND sound quality. I think his is not stainless though, but is of heavy gauge steel. Not sure if the PT system is s/s or if it comes with single exhaust version.

Any USA-side resellers with websites?
Old 28 Jul 2003, 02:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stephen R.

My buddy has Remus on his Subi. He says this is a top-of-the-line system in build quality AND sound quality. I think his is not stainless though, but is of heavy gauge steel. Not sure if the PT system is s/s or if it comes with single exhaust version.

Any USA-side resellers with websites?
Remus USA has a list of dealers, http://www.remus-usa.com/ or you can call Oberklasse, http://www.oberklasse.com/remus.asp , 817-334-0223, they are in Texas and list the Remus dual exhaust system for the PT, says stainless steel on their site. I would suspect they would have to order it since not too many PT people here in the states know the Remus system is available. Many of us ordered from Europe to get the exhaust systems we wanted. Hope this helps.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 03:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you want OEM quiet but not DC's price, how about going to a large meet where "aftermarkets" are installed and getting a low mileage "takeoff"? Toss in the garage until needed. You can get catback or just the muffler. Or how about a WANTED:TAKEOFF ad in the Classifieds here? Someone here's always upgrading.[8D]
Old 02 Aug 2003, 11:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

[?]As an aside to this question, does anyone have an preference on either the Borla/Mopar dual exhaust or the BTG one? I'm looking to upgrade and my considerations are ease of installation, and access to the spare.

Thanks all