Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HAS ANYONE TRIED THE TORNADO?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2002, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default HAS ANYONE TRIED THE TORNADO?

I have a 2001 Limited Edition PT and I was thinking about buying the "Tornado" for my air intake. It is said to increase horsepower by 4-7% and improve gas mileage up to 31%. Has anyone tried this product?

Old 25 Jan 2002, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Noticed this is your first post , welcome . To answer your question , there was a long thread on ptcc about the tornado . The person who had one ended up taking it off saying it did nothing . Some say it hurt mileage without improving performance . I've hung around the forums for a year and the posts I've seen generally are all negative . What will work for the intake side is a well engineered cold air intake like the Volant or Borla . They sell for around $250 to $300 . Also replacing the stock air filter with a K&N helps , $40.

Old 25 Jan 2002, 05:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

There have been numerous threads on the other sites,PTCC,PTOC and PTE all of which came up negative for the Tornado or similar devices. Anything you stick into the airstream of a direct fuel injected engine will disrupt that airflow and probably REDUCE both gas milage and power. The only place a "swirl" device might help is with a carborated or throttle body injection fed engine. The PT has direct port fuel injection with long air runners after the throttle body.

Old 26 Jan 2002, 11:08 am
Cool Cruiser

If This worked it would be great but all I can say is buyer beware.
I have a K & N FIPK and it helped with power and mileage.

Greg Gavencky
N.J. State Director
PT Owners Club
Old 30 Jan 2002, 06:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

listen to thies guys thier are better ways to spend the money and get better results. Only thing is that you can put things in the air flow and not cause turbulense... like the tornado. but you are exactly right as the effect is lost on our intake systems. The same as for larger throtle bodies but that is another story...

2001 Touring, rear splash guards,
smoked back up lights, red turn signals, adjustable antenna,LED washers, pedal covers
Old 06 Feb 2002, 02:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:
I have a 2001 Limited Edition PT and I was thinking about buying the "Tornado" for my air intake. It is said to increase horsepower by 4-7% and improve gas mileage up to 31%. Has anyone tried this product?

Thanks guys for all your help. Have decided to go with the K&N air filter.

Old 11 Feb 2002, 04:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

I built my own cold air FIPK from instructions from Motor Mike at the
PT Do It Yourself site. ptdoityourself.net It cost me $65-$70. Better gas mileage, much better low end power, and a nice, cool sound. I did fabricate a bracket to keep the FIPK stable. I can't see why anyone would want to spend $250-$300 for one. One thing to note, tho. My dealer (service dept) said that Chrysler frowns on ANYTHING done to increase power and will void your warranty. Of course they would have to prove that your FIPK hurt your engine. To avoid any hassle I just remove my FIPK and put the factory OEM air filter box back in when I take my Cruiser in for warranty work. Takes me a whole 15 minutes for the switch.

Quicksilver Tom
2001 Bright Silver Metallic, 28F Package Plus, FIPK

Edited by - maddog on 02/11/2002 02:31:16
Old 13 Aug 2010, 01:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: HAS ANYONE TRIED THE TORNADO?

my friend says that when you use the tornado fuel saver you can't afford to waste your car's precious fuel.it will give your car a noticeable increase in horsepower and gas mileage.the air causes better fuel atomization that results in gas mileage increase of up to 24 percent. Aside from that, it also allows your car to get as much as additional 13 hp.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 06:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by krislou80 View Post
my friend says that when you use the tornado fuel saver you can't afford to waste your car's precious fuel.it will give your car a noticeable increase in horsepower and gas mileage.the air causes better fuel atomization that results in gas mileage increase of up to 24 percent. Aside from that, it also allows your car to get as much as additional 13 hp.

Haven't you been listening to what the others have been saying?

IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It also restores lost hair and cures bad breath....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles