PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Electrical Nightmare

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2008, 09:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Electrical Nightmare

Hello to all , Thanks for any help.
2001 pt 5 speed 109766 miles original owner. i was getting the p0622 generator field control problem / p1594 voltage to high in charging system code on my cluster gauge, while i was in ny during my drive back to jersey ( 25 min) the vehicles wipers front n rear came on my lights went out and smoke came out from behind the instrument cluster near the top where it meets the top of the dash and the car turned off loss of complete power, after a tow home, my battery had leaked out so i replace the battery and generator i get power to everything but i dont get any crank , all the fuses and relays are good..
not sure if my wiring were fried , any help on cost of replacement on wiring or how to go about checking my current wiring .
ive had to replace the coil pack with plugs and wires recently other then that i had no work done to the vehicle in the past 6 months at which time ive had my timing belt done with no problems everything on the vehicle is factory ( base model)

Last edited by igloo0001; 04 Mar 2008 at 09:37 pm. Reason: correction
Old 05 Mar 2008, 12:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Electrical Nightmare

If smoke came out from behing your instrument cluster, then chances are good that it as well as related wiring are fried. my recommendation is to take it in to a professional and have it looked over as it seems that you have numerous problems.
Old 05 Mar 2008, 09:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had to have the wiring replaced in my '01 about a year and a half ago...it was about $250

P.S. if you haven't done it yet and are around 60K miles get your timing belt replaced too while they're in there...blew my engine yesterday because of the timing belt
Old 05 Mar 2008, 12:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Jennylyn,

What kind of mileage do you have on your cruiser???

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Mar 2008, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Old 05 Mar 2008, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylyn View Post
OK, that's why we tell everyone to get the timing belt changed around the 100k mark. I'm at 92K now and looking around for the best deal.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Mar 2008, 04:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

with smoke im sure some things got fried !! keep us posted !!
Old 05 Mar 2008, 05:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

If everything still works (lights, heater/ac fan, radio, windows, door locks) but it doesn't crank at all meaning when you try to start it nothing happens. No noise, no clicking...nothing? It sounds to me like a fusable link between the battrey and the starter or a master fuse on the fuse panel and before the starter. Check the power wire at the starter and see if you have enough amps and volts to start it. If it doesn't the fusable link or master fuse is gone and you may have to get one from the dealer. I know on parking lot sweeper trucks, the GM Colorado truck have a 150 amp fuse after the fuse panel and before the starter wire thats for safety.
Old 05 Mar 2008, 05:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yea, I just didn't know and no one ever told me about a timing belt. I assumed that my car had one but I go for my 3,000 mile oil changes and if anyone told me something needed to be done I had it done. But the mechanic that has it now said that it should have been changed every 60k
Old 05 Mar 2008, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the advice ..
i will look over everything this weekend, and yes i have NO crank at the engine ,everything else works fine , i will remove the instrument cluster to have a look back there as well , have to change a bulb anyway... everyone enjoy there week