Advertisements
EGR flow 400

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2008, 10:15 am
Young Cruiser

Default EGR flow 400

Hello all,

I was searching the forum, but couldn't really find a good answer to my issue.

My wife and I bought a 2001 cruiser Limited edition with about 90k miles on it about 6 months ago, and its been pretty good. We had an issue where the engine light came on, and the PCM needed to be replaced, (somewhat costly) but otherwise we have been pretty happy.

The other day the engine light came on again, and when I took it to advance auto, they said the code was egr flow 400. I vaguely understand what that is, something with emmissions or a vacume seal? But anyway, we got the take down low, and put a bottle of high quality cleaner in it, and filled the tank with mid-grade gas.

Low and behold the light went out the next day... oh happy days.. However its been about a week and we filled it again with mid-grade (no cleaner this time) and about 3 hrs later the light came back on again.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? I really don't wan to have to go to the dealer, and I assume since it went out after a cleaner, something must be clogged, but I would have no idea what.

Please let me know, because I need to try and fix this low cost

Thanks
Old 07 Mar 2008, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: EGR flow 400

If the fault code you recovered was P0401, most of the answers I dug up said to replace the EGR valve.

On the 2001 you have an EGR tube attached to the rear of the upper manifold that uses two different size bolts to hold it on (8mm & 10mm). See picture #1

That tube travels down the rear of the engine and goes into the EGR valve which is what needs to be replaced. See picture #2

According to one posting I read, after replacing the valve, you need a scanning tool from garage or dealer to get rid of the fault code not just unhooking the negative battery terminal.

If it's not fault code P0401, disregard everything I wrote.
Old 07 Mar 2008, 06:48 pm
Young Cruiser

DTC 401 is an EGR related code. My chart says the 400 DTC is a diesel EGR related code, with no followup footnotes. HMMM.
Old 07 Mar 2008, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

2k1PT didn't fill out his/her profile so I assumed it was a U.S. model cruiser, but you could be right and he could be from Canada or the U.K. or anywhere the PT is made as a 2.0 ltr diesel.
Old 08 Mar 2008, 07:17 am
Young Cruiser

Nope I am in the US. Richmond VA to be exact... I will get that profile done here in a min

I am going to start with spark plugs and wires, pcv valve, and the egr valve. hopefully that wont be too much or a chore, of course I am have not worked on a car before, usually have a shop do it, but I am tired of spenging high dollars on this stuff

Thanks for the input, if anyone else knows anyhitng pleae let me know.

I know Advanse specifically said that the code was egr flow 400. Seemed strange to me for a code like that but... I may bring it back to them and have them check it again...
Old 08 Mar 2008, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

2k1PT,

If you haven't worked on a car before, I wouldn't take on the PT as your first try. There's specialty tools your need and an understanding of the parts involved. The EGR valve is in a awkward place where the whole air filtration system has to be removed to get to it. It looks pretty accessible in the picture I posted but I just looked at mine and it's not.

See if there's a PT group in your area that you can meet up with and maybe enlist the help of someone who's worked on the ignition system. There used to be a great set of pictures on Imagestation that walked you thru the procedures but Imagestation is closed now so it's gone.

(my wife will kill me for this) I'll be up in your area (Midlothian Va. about 25 minutes SW of Richmond) for my grandson's birthday at the beginning of May for about 10 days. If you haven't sorted it out by then, maybe we can get together and I'll help you.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 08 Mar 2008 at 08:55 am.
Old 08 Mar 2008, 04:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Dang I wish we could get the diesels in Canada!

You can check the codes yourself if you like. Press the ODO reset button and hold it, turn the key to run. The ODO cycles through all 1's then 2's and so on. Then it runs the gauges through preset checks. Then it will show you any codes that it has. I think it can only show engine codes, but am not positive. I don't think it will pick up tranny codes and the like. It will show "no codes" if nothing is wrong. But if you're pulling a CEL it should certainly show the code.

If you go here it shows you what the codes mean.

Hope that's somewhat helpful,
Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 08 Mar 2008, 04:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ben,

Helpful, but wrong with the U.S.A. models. Holding the ODO button and turning the key will get all the dials going but won't show the codes at the end.

To get the codes, the key has to be turned ON/OFF three times without actually starting the engine within 5 seconds, then left in the ON position and then the codes will show up in the middle dial with "done" showing if there weren't any codes stored in the computer.

That's the way it's done in the U.S.A. It may be different in Canada.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 08 Mar 2008 at 04:36 pm.
Old 08 Mar 2008, 08:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Interesting, I stand corrected, I knew about the other method but knew that the odometer one worked on mine. I would think the only difference between a Canadian spec car and USA spec is the speedometer is different. Maybe some emissions equipment but I almost doubt that. Also the block heater isn't an option for Canada! Both US and Canada spec PT's are made in Mexico as far as I know. Sorry for the misinformation, I didn't think it was hit and miss info. I wouldn't be surprised tho if the odometer method would work on some US PT's.

I just saw the sticky for codes, that looks much more complete then the one I linked, I just hadn't noticed it before.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 08 Mar 2008, 09:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

We have a couple sets of code lists on this forum. One under "Mod Forum" and the other under the "General Turbo Discussions".
Closed Thread