Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
possible EGR valve problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2008, 06:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry possible EGR valve problem

Recently we had the timing belt and water pump replaced on our 02 Cruiser. Shortly afterwards whenever it was put in park or idling it would begin to shake and shimmy. My wife took it back to the mechanic mad as you know what!!! He hooked it up to the scanner and a code for the EGR came up. We spent way more than I wanted to for the timing belt/water pump replacement. I checked the Haynes manual to see if I could replace it myself if possible. Forget this! Would a bad EGR cause this shaking or maybe the PCV valve? How about the plugs? Thanks
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: possible EGR valve problem

We had to replace the EGR valve on ours. When ours went, it ran very rough whenever you took your foot off of the gas to slow down. It ran fine when we were driving at highway speed. Dave had to two-foot it all the way from Indiana to Ontario! We had taken it to a dealership in Indiana and he tried to tell us that the cam had shifted! There's a thread on PTCrew right now about replacing EGR valves, and it includes pics.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 12:11 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

EGR flow 400

Seems to be the same problem.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 11 Mar 2008, 11:58 am
Young Cruiser

As far as I can tell, there is a blockage in the egr valve, should not have anything to do with a timing belt.

Changing the PCV will probably help, but if you are geting the same error as I am, P0400, or P0401, its most likely not the root cause. My PCV was pretty bad though, almost no rattle when I shook it, and after replacing the spark plugs and the PCV the car is runing much better, but the light is still on...