Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor mount wear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2008, 10:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Motor mount wear?

Hi i have had this noise in my car for a while, like grinding, the noise shows up when reving up to 1600-1800 rpm,its like the engine moves it self at those revs.The noise is where the upper torque strut is, i'm not sure how to tell if it had wear or not, i can move it sideways easily it like the rubber bushing inside the mount offers no resistance, is this normal or should it be in a fixed position?
My car is a pt touring 2003 2.0 L.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 12:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Motor mount wear?

I was very surprised at how soft and weak the rubber felt in the motor mount. I switched to a filled motor mount. Make sure the bottom mount isn't broken. You wouldn't be the first to punch a hole in the oil pan.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 13 Mar 2008, 06:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i agree with mean green !!
Old 13 Mar 2008, 09:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

i'll have that checked, regarding the filled mounts, how is your vibration? also where can y buy a decent pair?
Old 13 Mar 2008, 02:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
i'll have that checked, regarding the filled mounts, how is your vibration? also where can y buy a decent pair?

My GT was a 5 speed. I had a little more cabin vibration and a little more than that with the AC on. I've heard the automatic tranny PT has more vibration.

Deyeme Racing: engine mounts, aluminum brackets, and other quality mods for your modern MoPar

Go to the SRT-4 parts. The motor mounts (torque struts) are the same. The tranny mount is not the same. These are filled mounts. If you want solid mounts you can find them anywhere SRT-4 parts are sold.

Old 13 Mar 2008, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Mean Green but how can i tell if they are worn and need replacement?, i get this shaking noise in the front passanger's side, but when i put more load , like if somebody is sitting on the passangers side it gets worse. I'm not looking for perfomance just getting rid of that noise
Old 13 Mar 2008, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK i double checked them and they are definitely worn, the upper, if i move it to the left it goes all the way even pops out, the inner metal piece in the middle of the rubber just stays fixed to the engine, so i need to replace both of them.
I'm planning on doing it myself how hard is it can anyone post a step by step procedure, i read the service manual says the engine needs positioning after they are installed, but what if i put a jack under the oil pan as support, replace the upper strut first, , tighten, then go for the lower, should position be done anyway, if it's a must do can somebody point out how to do it.
The other thing my upper strut is under the AC lines, looks a bit hard to remove , not sure where to start, i have mechanic skills, but i never done mounts before.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by csd; 13 Mar 2008 at 06:13 pm.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 07:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
OK i double checked them and they are definitely worn, the upper, if i move it to the left it goes all the way even pops out, the inner metal piece in the middle of the rubber just stays fixed to the engine, so i need to replace both of them.
I'm planning on doing it myself how hard is it can anyone post a step by step procedure, i read the service manual says the engine needs positioning after they are installed, but what if i put a jack under the oil pan as support, replace the upper strut first, , tighten, then go for the lower, should position be done anyway, if it's a must do can somebody point out how to do it.
The other thing my upper strut is under the AC lines, looks a bit hard to remove , not sure where to start, i have mechanic skills, but i never done mounts before.
Any suggestions?
Here is a how to with inserts, you just won't be doing the inserts because your motor mounts are too far gone and you need new ones.

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

Old 13 Mar 2008, 11:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the links seems , like an easy job, i already ordered new mounts, i hope i pull this off.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 12:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the links seems , like an easy job, i already ordered new mounts, i hope i pull this off.
Just remember to support the engine and don't jerk it around. Then no alignment will be needed.