PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Ignition coil problem...maybe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2008, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ignition coil problem...maybe?

Good morning all. I have a 2004 GT Turbo with 49k miles that I'm having some problems with. The PT would start up and immediately die. After it would die the check engine light would come on. The code was P2305 Ignition Coil B Secondary Circuit.

My next step was to purchase a new Ignition coil from the dealer. I installed the new coil and now the car doesn't even start up and die. It just tries and tries to start but is never successful.

My next thought was to test the new ignition coil. I used a timing light and when cranking the car coil plugs #1 and #4 are firing but #2 and #3 are not.

I followed up this test by testing the old (stock) ignition coil the same way. #1 and #4 fire and #2 and #3 do not. So maybe my stock coil has not gone bad after all.

At this point I am stumped as to why the coil controlling #2 and #3 is not firing. I found this article on another site:
Quote:
The coil pack consists of 2 coils molded together. High tension leads route to each cylinder from the coil. The coil fires two spark plugs every power stroke. One plug is the cylinder under compression, the other cylinder fires on the exhaust stroke. Coil number one fires cylinders 1 and 4. Coil number two fires cylinders 2 and 3. The PCM determines which of the coils to charge and fire at the correct time. The Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay provides battery voltage to the ignition coil. The PCM provides a ground contact (circuit) for energizing the coil. When the PCM breaks the contact, the energy in the coil primary transfers to the secondary causing the spark. The PCM will de-energize the ASD relay if it does not receive the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor inputs.
How can I test to see if the PCM or the ASD has gone bad? Any other ideas to try would be great too.

Thanks!
Old 15 Mar 2008, 02:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition coil problem...maybe?

I looked in the engine fusebox and one of the relays is called ASD. Is there any way to tell if this relay is bad or do I just pick another one up at Autozone and try it out?

Also from my above guide, how can I test the "crankshaft position sensor" or the "camshaft position sensor".
Old 04 Aug 2008, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am having the same problem. Put in new speed sensor, knock sensor, O2 sensors and ignition coil. Bought a used computer at the junk yard. Car starts but goes right out with new computer without an error code. It ran on 2 cyclinders with the old computer. I would have expected a crankshaft position sensor error if either of the other sensors were bad. Any suggestions?
Old 04 Aug 2008, 06:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

pcm2a,

The asd relay (E) is the same as all the other relays. You can swap it out with the horn relay (A).

You both sound like your throwing parts at your problem and not getting anywhere. Before you do that anymore I suggest you call around to a local shop to find who has an OBDII scanner. The scanner will tell you a lot more than the codes set by our computer and hopefully pinpoint the real problem. They'll be a nominal charge for hooking up the scanner but probably worth it to get your cars going again.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 05 Aug 2008, 10:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Ignition coil problem...maybe?

Looks like an epidemic! My 2004 'Woodie' turbo 72k has EXACTLY the same problem! Same P2305 code, too. New coil didn't fix it. I've tried other help sites, but they seem stumped. I tried using an OBDII, thinking that more codes would show up, but no. Only the P2305 code. I can clear it, but it returns immediately next time I crank the starter. What's going on????

Last edited by Beaux; 05 Aug 2008 at 10:57 am.
Old 05 Aug 2008, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, I don't know if this will help or not.

I did a lot of searching on the fault code P2305 and there was one site that had a technician that answered questions (if you joined the site).

The question was about P2305 and the person asking the question said he changed all kinds of parts but it didn't help.

The technician part of the forum said to pay up if you want an answer. THEN, further down someone said, "shouldn't a dealer technician know about the coil capacitor as that would save a lot of time and money"

To me, that meant that the tech answering the question said something about the "coil capacitor" being the problem or part of the problem.

I can't find any information about the coil capacitor. Here's the link to what I'm talking about if you care to read it......

Car Repair > HOW TO REPAIR FAULT COE P2305 PT CRUISER > Chrysler Questions - Just Answer
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 05 Aug 2008, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Ignition coil problem...maybe?

Yep, I was at that site and saw the thread you mention. I even located the coil capacitor. Problem is, in that same thread, the questioner replaced it and it didn't help. The thread just dies after the questioner says "Where do we go from here? And the 'expert' says "I'll get back to you." Dead End, I'm afraid.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello

Okay, where's the coil capacitor?
Old 09 Aug 2008, 10:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

More than likely the coil driver in the PCM is defective. If #1 and #4 are firing then more than likely its a PCM problem. One thing to check is the wiring from PCM to coil. If the wiring has continuity then it's a PCM defect. The PCM only controls the ground to the coil but that's what fires it. A bad coil could have burned the driver circuit in the PCM.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So,, did you guy's get your car's running???