Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Issue while changing plugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2008, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Issue while changing plugs

I just finished changing the plugs in my 2003 2.4liter standard, and I'm running into some issues. First there was an odd noise, kind of like a shh, but on a pattern. I decided to double check the plugs and make sure they were tight, but now when I start the car it's up at 3k rpms instead of the 1k idle. What did I do? Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 06:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Issue while changing plugs

You have a vacum leak. Probably missed a vacum hose or an intake seal,
Old 18 Mar 2008, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I second that opinion. There's a vacuum hose on the right side of the upper intake, make sure that's attached to the air intake.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 10:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

agree with slarty and crewzin.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 09:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Issue while changing plugs

That was it, somehow (I think thanks to my son helping) two of the intake seals were lost. And of course I didn't double check for them till after. Thanks for the reply's, I've no idea what he did with them so now I have to wait for the dealership to get some in around 3 today. Well, I blame myself for involving my 3 1/2 year old, but I wanted to spend time with him on my day off and not just work on the car lol. Thanks!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Funny, I thought about saying something about the intake seals because they could easily fall out while lifting the intake but then thought, surely a person doing this procedure would see if they were all there before putting the intake back in place. When I saw that your "helper" was 3 1/2, I can see why you might have been distracted enough to miss it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 07:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome here.

Hope you replaced the wires, too... the stock wires are crap...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Mar 2008, 10:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

I didn't change the wires. I'll look into getting some this week though. Either way the car runs much better after a quick tune up with new plugs, filters and oil. Hopefully it will start getting closer to the 32mpg it averaged when I got it a year ago.
Oh and in case anyone wants a laugh, we went to pick up the gaskets and I handed them to my wife to hold in the car and she laughed at me and said "you just paid 20 bucks for rubber bands" lol
Old 20 Mar 2008, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They may be expensive but, look at the time you spent with your son. In a few years you'll laugh at the $20 bucks you spent. By the time he is a adult, you will have spent much more than that. I know that for a fact!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Mar 2008, 01:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tell her their not just any rubber bands but SPECIAL bands that magically allow the intricate curved features of the Cruiser upper and lower intake manifold to join together harmoniously as if they were one piece.