Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing Timing belt: Engine support question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2008, 08:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacing Timing belt: Engine support question

I am in the process of replacing the timing belt and water pump on my Mom's 2.4 PT Cruiser (2001). I cannot get the freakin' engine support out. I have the bolts loose but I cannot get it out. From searching it looks like you guys just jack the engine up as high as possible and it will come out? Also I still have the 4 bolts in the right side motor mount holding that to the inner fender. Does that need to some out before the engine support? It seems like there is not enough room to take out those bolts. What gives? I already have the top timing cover off but I cannot get any further because of the engine support and the possibly the right side engine mount (I have taken out the big torx bolt in the middle of this, just not the four hex bolts on the inner fender well) Please send some help my way I need to have this done tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 11:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Timing belt: Engine support question

There is a big cast iron mount mounted to the motor. That will need to come off. You will also need to remove the upper and lower roll stop mounts. Once you get those off you can jack the engine up. You don't need to remove the middle motor mount unless it's collapsed or broken.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the advice. I'll be working on it with in the hour, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 07:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

I almost have the support out now. I need to do something else with the power steering pump the pulley from that is still stoping me from pulling the engine support out. Also I cut the timing belt off when I did one of the cam pullies spun about a tooth. How can I make sure the timing is set right with out the belt on the car? Any help is appreciated.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 07:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You will need to remove remove the 3 bolts on the back side of the pump. This will let the pump hang free. I've done so many that I forget that not everybody knows what I know... When you go to put the new belt on start the belt at the crank pulley and work the belt counter clockwise. Line the cams up and then rotate the exhaust cam about a half tooth clockwise. When you got to tighten the belt at the tensioner it should come back up straight. Tune the engine over 2 full turns to make sure all the timing marks are lined up.