Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
LF Wheel Grinding/Roaring Noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2008, 11:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question LF Wheel Grinding/Roaring Noise

Thanks for this great site, everyone. Hopefully I can get some opinions on what might be going on.

I'm working on a 2003 PT with 94,000 miles on it. Today, I replaced both front brake rotors and front brake pads in an effort to get rid of a nasty grinding/roaring noise from the left front wheel area.

The sound started happening after exiting off the interstate suddenly, and there is no vibration or pull on the steering.

The brakes definitely needed worked on, and I figured that I had solved my problem, but on the test drive afterwards, the sound came back as strong as ever. It definitely comes from the left-front wheel, and sounds much louder inside the car. The sound is similar to a grind on the rotor, but from everything I've gathered that's not the case. (It can't be ruled out, though)

From what I gather, this could have something to do with a variety of things including the wheel bearing, the hub, the lower control arm bushings, etc. However, I don't know how to make an accurate guess.

Which part in the front suspension would make the horrible grinding noise? Could this be as deep as a CV boot/joint or transaxle?

I plan to find a shop for a free estimate to look at it this weekend, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thanks!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 11:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: LF Wheel Grinding/Roaring Noise

You will need to replace the wheel bearing. It's a good idea to both while your there.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
You will need to replace the wheel bearing. It's a good idea to both while your there.
I always thought a wheel bearing sounded more like a "hum" or as my dad puts it, a "Cessna taking off".

Would it cause the nasty grinding sound, too?
Old 20 Mar 2008, 03:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Yup, your hub bearing needs replacing. I had both of mine, and my control arm bushings fixed within a month of each other and my car has been flawless since - No noise .

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 23 Mar 2008, 11:57 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiller View Post
I always thought a wheel bearing sounded more like a "hum" or as my dad puts it, a "Cessna taking off".

Would it cause the nasty grinding sound, too?
Yeah it deffinately sounds like that!! Had to replace mine at 95k. Too bad a plane ticket is cheaper!
Stage 2 Jet Chip
NGK Iridium Plugs
Xenon Headlights
10.5mm Racing Wires
Mopar BOV Conversion
4 Drilled/Slotted Rotors
180W Infinity 6.5" 2-way's
General Performance 215/45R 17's
Mopar/Borla Dual Cat-Back Exhaust