PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How do you remove the starter

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2008, 10:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry How do you remove the starter

Started what I thought would be a simple repair to remove and replace the starter. Is there an easy to get to it - without removing the radiator?

it is a 2002
Old 22 Mar 2008, 01:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: How do you remove the starter

from underneath.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How come no one tells us WHERE the bolts are on the bracket that is in the way of the starter (from underneath)? I can't see them, and none of the instructions - at least that are easy to find here or on the Internet - describe the bolt locations.

You'd think that would be the basic thing to tell us!!

Thanks
Old 17 Nov 2014, 02:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Go to the new member thread and introduce your self. Those folks on this thread no longer around. I think I have a picture on my project thread oh the starter area. That radiator was out during that picture. I would most likely go at it from the top or both. After the battery and stuff was removed. But someone here will have an answer. Be patient. Check the how to thread, a sticky at the top of the page in that Tech and Performance section.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Nov 2014, 07:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope View Post
Started what I thought would be a simple repair to remove and replace the starter. Is there an easy to get to it - without removing the radiator?

it is a 2002
You DON"T need to remove the radiator to replace your starter .. just take off the front grill then the bracket in front of the radiator , the cross member that holds the Rad. in place , remove the "upper radiator hose" and stuff a rag in the end of Rad. .. lift it up alittle and just pull it forward so you have room to reach down inside and get to the starter ... also take out the battery and the battery tray , use an extention and socket {15 MM i think } for the starter bolt , comes out really easy ... for the lower starter bolt use a 6 inch socket extention , fits perfect and the bolt comes right out .... just did mine 2 weeks ago .. in and out in about 20 mins just reverse for the new starter..
Hahaha JUST NOTICED THIS WAS SOMEONE IN 2008 !!!!!!!!! HOPE YOU GOT YOUR STARTER IN !!!!!!

Last edited by boonie2; 17 Nov 2014 at 07:36 pm.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 09:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie2 View Post
You DON"T need to remove the radiator to replace your starter .. just take off the front grill then the bracket in front of the radiator , the cross member that holds the Rad. in place , remove the "upper radiator hose" and stuff a rag in the end of Rad. .. lift it up alittle and just pull it forward so you have room to reach down inside and get to the starter ... also take out the battery and the battery tray , use an extention and socket {15 MM i think } for the starter bolt , comes out really easy ... for the lower starter bolt use a 6 inch socket extention , fits perfect and the bolt comes right out .... just did mine 2 weeks ago .. in and out in about 20 mins just reverse for the new starter..
Hahaha JUST NOTICED THIS WAS SOMEONE IN 2008 !!!!!!!!! HOPE YOU GOT YOUR STARTER IN !!!!!!
tangopalace Was the new one asking about this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually, you DO NOT have to take the rad or the grill off! I admit there is certainly not much space but it is possible. I did mine by removing battery tray working from the top and under the PT. Using a flex socket and my sons nimble fingers he was able to crack and remove the bolt by feel.You will also need to have jack stands to get underneath. In the end it was really fairly simple and wasn't all that badů
Good Luck
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitoride View Post
Actually, you DO NOT have to take the rad or the grill off! I admit there is certainly not much space but it is possible. I did mine by removing battery tray working from the top and under the PT. Using a flex socket and my sons nimble fingers he was able to crack and remove the bolt by feel.You will also need to have jack stands to get underneath. In the end it was really fairly simple and wasn't all that badů
Good Luck
That's more than likely the way I would try and do it.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Nov 2014, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It took two sets of hands, but we we able to R&R the starter in my '03 Turbo without taking the radiator nor grill out. We removed the battery & tray and the down pipe for the turbo. My friend worked from the top and I was underneath. It actually came out thru the top. The FSM has you just about disassembling the whole car...
Old 19 Nov 2014, 08:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtbkr View Post
It took two sets of hands, but we we able to R&R the starter in my '03 Turbo without taking the radiator nor grill out. We removed the battery & tray and the down pipe for the turbo. My friend worked from the top and I was underneath. It actually came out thru the top. The FSM has you just about disassembling the whole car...
Good job guys. Sometimes to much educations says you just can't do that! But you can.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com