Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mileage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2008, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mileage?

Ok, so I already know that the Cruiser is not known for it's phenomenal gas mileage. However, I'm a bit concerned. I'm having multiple issues that I've been working on getting resolved but my mileage does not seem to be improving by a significant amount. I had a leak in one of my spark plug wells and when I changed out my valve cover gasket this weekend I had about an inch of oil sitting in there. That's taken care of now after $30 and about 5 hours and a pint of blood from busted knuckles. My oil pressure light is still coming on at low rpm's so I'm planning on changing out the oil sending unit this weekend. Praying it's not the oil pump as that's a royal PITA to change out. Just put in new plugs (just the standard Autolite plugs) and Crane FireWires. Cruiser is an '04 TE Turbo with 90K miles. What else should I be looking at? I've had it for about a year and I don't know anything about it's prior history but from what I can see it wasn't treated very well. At this point I'm just trying to get it back up to snuff before I start doing the fun stuff. Mileage has gone from 28 MPG to around 18 MPG give or take. Seems a bit extreme when overall it's running reasonably well aside from that. Any thoughts?
Old 26 Mar 2008, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mileage?

jr, One question I have, is were you the one that got 28 MPG with your Turbo?
The reason I ask is the best I ever got was 32 MPG during a trip and that was driving for one fill up. IF the 28 was with you driving and figuring out by hand and found it to be 28, Congratulations. The avg I get on highway (I have a NA) is about 24-26. City is 17 - 19, I have a heavy foot.

On the other hand if you were depending on the readout on the instrument panel, I wouldn't trust that much. Sorry I couldn't help you with your other problems.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Mar 2008, 08:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I suppose my calculation method isn't the best but I try to be consistent. I based it off of the first 1/2 tank which I realize isn't terribly accurate as mileage gets lower on the second half. Essentially, I was getting 200 miles(or a little over) on the first 1/2 tank after a fill up. Now I'm getting between 75 and 80. Just checked the manual again and realized that the tank is 15 gallons rather than 14 so the numbers are closer to 26 MPG before and 16 MPG now. Have a long distance drive this weekend (NC to MD) so I'm going to see what I get running straight highway miles which I generally don't do during the week. I commute 45 miles each way; about 30 highway and 15 city.
Old 03 Apr 2008, 02:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The best mileage I ever got on my 2002 Pt w/auto trans (pre-turbo) was 26.5 recently driving on Rt 95 from FL to PA. I usually get 21-24 mpg.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The only mileage calculation that I find works - write down all the gas you put in, go about 1,000 miles or more, divide total gas used into miles travelled.
At nearly 62,000 miles, my overall gas mileage is a tad over 25 mpg.
What works - keep your tires inflated - I go 2-3 psi over the door sticker #.
Get into top gear and try to stay there.
Take a bit longer to get up to speed - acceleration eats gas.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Apr 2008, 10:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Well I took a road trip this past Saturday to near Chicago, 200 miles mostly interstate. I didn't use the read out on the dash, used the fill the tank, drive, fill up and divide gallons/miles. I averaged 26.1 miles to a gallon, gentle take offs, mostly 65mph (why hurry to get there...rather enjoy being in the cruiser). My cruiser has 3600 miles on it now.

Now don't laugh but when I got the car in February with 300 miles on it I thought the tires all looked a bit low because of the type of tire (all four looked the same). My nephew-in-law told me before the trip....all my tires looked low. I said "Aren't they suppose to be like that? Its a new car" Duh, I took it to the gas station and all 4 only had 20psi instead of 35. What a difference!

OK, I gave all you guys a laugh for the day. I guess from sitting on the lot the tires lost some air. Not sure if adding air or dropping a K&N air filter in (until I get the Airaid) helped or both but I was happy with the mileage and the comfort of the ride for the distance.

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 21 May 2008, 01:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: My Family and I currently reside in Denver Colorado.

You guys think you got it bad....I get 155 miles to the tank and my car, a bone stock 2002 Touring Edition with 27,000 miles on it, should be doing waaaay better then that!!!! No leaks, no issues just cruddy mileage that can't be pinpointed to any known issue.
Old 21 May 2008, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just solved the problem. I traded in my Pt Cruiser in on a Toyota Prius and now get 50 mpg.
Old 21 May 2008, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: Mileage?

Congratulations on your "Moment"!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 21 May 2008, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: My Family and I currently reside in Denver Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasmilealot View Post
I just solved the problem. I traded in my Pt Cruiser in on a Toyota Prius and now get 50 mpg.
Yes, well we should all be so fortunate. I do like the Prius, however, it's not a practicle solution to my issues, but congrats on the Hybrid. So now you can play like on South Park and enjoy the smell of your own farts....yay.