Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Intake Selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2008, 11:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Intake Selection

Hey, I have a non turbo 2001 PT Cruiser. I am purchasing a cold air intake and I was looking for input from anyone with experience from different brands. Currently, it looks as though i might be getting an Airaid intake. Opinions please?
Old 28 Mar 2008, 12:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Re: Intake Selection

K&N is awesome. Haven't heard but good things from them on the Cold Air intake. I bought the drop-in filter from K&N, nothing bad what so ever.

AirAid and K&N are good companies.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 28 Mar 2008, 09:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I forgot to mention this earlier but the only reason I am looking at getting the Airaid intake is due to the price difference. The Airaid seems like a much better deal and from what I have read, doesn't seem to be too much different from the K&N intake in gains.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 10:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmodrod View Post
I forgot to mention this earlier but the only reason I am looking at getting the Airaid intake is due to the price difference. The Airaid seems like a much better deal and from what I have read, doesn't seem to be too much different from the K&N intake in gains.
The best I've seen on the dyno is 2-5 hp gains and that isn't even noticeable. The sound is nice, though. The Airade is a better setup because it closes off hot engine air from the intake.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Mar 2008, 10:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

I just bought the Airaid for the 06+ and installed yesterday. Gets louder than I though at full throttle, but I can tell a difference in power above 3000 RPM. Took me 10 minutes to install. Only thing I didn't like is the throttle body adapter. Looks like it's disrupting air bigtime. I'll probably take it off and try rounding off the edge with a Dremel to make a smoother transition.

Somehow the 06+ is supposed to make more HP and less TQ than the kit for the 05- even though I thought the engines were pretty much the same.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 12:38 am
Cool Cruiser

The airraid sounds good, but I'm not too thrilled by the fit and finish. It leaves big gaps where it seals with the airbox. I can post pics if you'd like. I think it can still suck hot air, but then again so could the stock intake. I'm thinking I'll try going back with the stock airbox and modding it quite a bit. I want to do a ram air setup with a cheap hoodscoop, which will be a true cold air intake. If I utilize the stock air inlet on the airbox and rotate it 180* then I shouldn't have to worry about moisture from rain and such as the air will enter under the filter and go up. I have to check if I can remove that nose that goes over the battery, I want the intake to sound as good as the airraid.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 29 Mar 2008, 08:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I know that most people claimed to gain around 5 HP and I understand that that really is not too noticeable, but the sound difference will be nice, and I will be glad to have a reason to open my hood at car shows. I'll look into modifying the airbox to cut off a bit more engine heat too. Thanks to those who have already posted and I'm still interested to hear more. As a plus, that will finally put me over the edge and help me edge out my friend and his Cobalt SS. Usually I am neck and neck with him the whole way!

Last edited by PTmodrod; 29 Mar 2008 at 08:36 am.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 12:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersfan1 View Post
I just bought the Airaid for the 06+ and installed yesterday. Gets louder than I though at full throttle, but I can tell a difference in power above 3000 RPM. Took me 10 minutes to install. Only thing I didn't like is the throttle body adapter. Looks like it's disrupting air bigtime. I'll probably take it off and try rounding off the edge with a Dremel to make a smoother transition.

Somehow the 06+ is supposed to make more HP and less TQ than the kit for the 05- even though I thought the engines were pretty much the same.
Placebo effect. Makes more noise at 3k. I used to think my '01 was quicker with the Airade, too. When I switched back from the Airade to stock I discovered that the '01 "sounded quicker" and there was no difference.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 29 Mar 2008, 12:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Placebo effect. Makes more noise at 3k. I used to think my '01 was quicker with the Airade, too. When I switched back from the Airade to stock I discovered that the '01 "sounded quicker" and there was no difference.
Not sure. It seems to pull up the hill I live off alot faster. Too bad the NA PT Cruiser crowd doesn't seem to be into dynoing thier mods. I can't see how replacing that tiny little accordian pipe alone doesn't help power. But, then the PT only winds out to 5500RPM or so until power rolls off. I'm coming off a car that wound to 8,000 RPM, so it made a more profound effect .... and it was dyno tested several times. Perhaps if I get a few more actual engine mods going, I'll do a quick A/B on an engine dyno to test the two intakes independantly side-by-side.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 01:33 am
Cool Cruiser

What I do to see if I've noticed a gain is do several 0-60 runs with a stopwatch. Not rocket science, but if there is a gain, you should notice it. I ran 12.5 seconds 0-60 when I got it. New plugs, wires, coil, CAI, and exhaust. It's now up to 12.5 seconds... When I did similar mods to my Dodge Dynasty I went from 10.5 seconds to 9.5. Not sure why my PT is so bloody slow!

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.