Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CEL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2008, 01:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default CEL

New guy here and I tried the search to find an answer but have failed. My question, I have a 2004 PT with the CEL on. When the key is turned to the on position, it beeps, 5 pause then 1, I assume code 51. I have tried the on/off method with no results. Is the beeping in fact the code? And woud the translate to a P0051 code if so? I plan on hitting up an Autozone later, but I figured I would try here as well.

Thank you,

The new guy - Dave
Old 28 Mar 2008, 03:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: CEL

Dave, welcome to the Forum!! To try and answer your question, the way to check codes is to turn the key 3 times forward (towards start) and back quickly. The 3rd time forward leave it there. In your dash display should either show a code or the word "done". Of course, I'm not aware of what a CEL is?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Mar 2008, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

the beeps dont mean a code at least i dont think so, do as hooligan said look were your mileage is thats were a code would show up
Old 28 Mar 2008, 07:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, my 01 gives me 5 chimes , then 1 chime if i just sit in the car and turn the key to the ON position without starting it. It doesn't mean a thing as far as I know.

It also chimes if I turn the lights on without the key in the ignition and flashes "head lights" in the center dial.

The CEL (Check Engine Light) with the little picture of the engine, stays on until the engine is running.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Mar 2008 at 07:59 pm.
Old 01 Apr 2008, 09:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help. Sorry I should have stated the CEL Check Engine Light was lite even after the engine was running. That is why I assumed a code was thrown.

I did try the on/off three times trick with out any luck. I had the codes read, and P0700 was pulled. Took it to a Transmission shop and was on my way in 25mins after the fix.

Thanks again. Great site, and I hope to become productive member.

Dave
Old 01 Apr 2008, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dave,

There's quite a few owners that have had the P0700 code and it turned out to be a couple different things. Can you tell us what's on your paperwork that describes what they did at the shop or did they tell you exactly what they did?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2008, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry I did not respond sooner. I have no paperwork. I sent the wife over to the shop to have the work done. From what she said, they added a bit of trans fluid and replaced a sensor(?). They must have found her attractive or something, as they did what they did and sent her on her way after saying have a nice weekend. That's right, she had the PT fixed at no cost. I need to look around this thing and identify what was replaced.
Old 02 Apr 2008, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, forget that, just send pictures of the wife!

Old 02 Apr 2008, 11:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

HaHa, I'll see what I can do!
Old 03 Apr 2008, 06:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hope they put in ATF+4, the tranny is very fussy.
How many miles on the PT? You should have the tranny flushed at about 50,000 miles....

(and Crewzin beat me to the pic request...)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles