PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stock Muffler V.S. Aftermarket Muffler...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2008, 12:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Stock Muffler V.S. Aftermarket Muffler...

Hi to all the savvy PT'ers! I was looking into buying an aftermarket muffler but I wanted to find out if it would be worth it to replace the stock muffler. I have an 04 non-turbo PT. I was thinking of a magnaflow muffler or some type of high flow muffler. Would there be much gain in power or just more noise? Please advise! Thanks in advance!
Old 02 Apr 2008, 01:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Stock Muffler V.S. Aftermarket Muffler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEFIEND View Post
Hi to all the savvy PT'ers! I was looking into buying an aftermarket muffler but I wanted to find out if it would be worth it to replace the stock muffler. I have an 04 non-turbo PT. I was thinking of a magnaflow muffler or some type of high flow muffler. Would there be much gain in power or just more noise? Please advise! Thanks in advance!
More noise, but it would probably sound a lot cooler.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 02 Apr 2008, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Stock Muffler V.S. Aftermarket Muffler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
More noise, but it would probably sound a lot cooler.

Cooler sounding may be worth it! Thanks for your response!
Old 02 Apr 2008, 01:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Stock Muffler V.S. Aftermarket Muffler...

I didn't notice any gain with my exhaust. It uses resonators with little "hooks". It's very free flowing. I think the Magnaflow uses a straight pipe with holes in it and keeps the sound down by having a large packed can right? It should flow even more than my setup. Mine only makes noise when it's floored, it's fairly quiet when at speed limit, and needs only a little bit of stereo to get rid of the sound. I like my exhaust mostly because a PT just looks strange with one pipe out the rear.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 08 May 2008, 06:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Re: Stock Muffler V.S. Aftermarket Muffler...

Greetings! Ok while each person has a different car and each car has a different care-history, we each can only speak on what happens with what we have done. Do not take arbitrary advice from someone who is merely speculating. While in theory their advise may sound like wisdom to the ears of an uneducated soul.

I digress; I have put a Magnaflow muffler on my 2006 Base model PT cruiser. I also installed a cold air intake and large filter and removed that overly large box in the engine bay.

There are 2 things I noticed right off the bat. 1st the throttle response and low end torque increased tremendously! The 2nd thing I noticed was an increase in sound. The muffler was noisy but tolerable, and when you punch it a beautiful sound can be heard. But lets face it, we have PT cruisers not 69 road runners. I want power and performance without that loud "rice burner" sound that makes everyone turn their head and laugh.

So as of tomorrow I'm installing the new set up I have fabricated. It consists of 2 Ultraflow dynomax mufflers welded side by side and connected with a y pipe. Should cut noise down by 2/3 and power output should remain where it is, but gas consumption should lower again!

Score; 2 - me, over indulging sycophantic oil jockeys - 0.

Nate