Advertisements
GRRRRRRR sound need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2008, 08:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default GRRRRRRR sound need help

This is my problem:
Car touring 2.0 AT. 2003.

I have had this horrible sound for a while and can't seem to find what it is.
its heard at the front engine part in the passangers side, it's very loud in the interior, worse than outside, don't know how to describe it but it sounds like grass cutter "GRRRRR", all this while passing 1800 rpms, accelerating or decelerating.

The scenarios are the following:
I had a front collision a year ago nothing serious, made a hole in the radiator and it had to be replaced.

i had new engine mounts installed cause they where completly gone and the transmission was jerking, got that fixed, i belived that would cure the problem but no help.

1)Under Cold start parked not driving, and driving( both cases ):
The the noise is there all the time if i rev up to 1800 and keep it constant it's there and really loud if i keep reving up passed 1800 it goes away and sounds really smooth if i let go of the gas on the way reving down it's there again.

2)Normal operating temp driving and not driving ( both cases ):
No noise.

3)Under any types of conditions: cold, warm, driving not driving, but with load or a passanger in the passangers side, noise all the, time at 1800 rpms ( up and down).worse when turning.

The strange thing is that this all happens at between 1800-2000 rpms

i've driven very slowly letting the shifting happen below 1800 : no noise, same the other way shifting passed 2000: no noise.

Please help me out this thing is driving me crazy i can't figure out what it is

Last edited by csd; 02 Apr 2008 at 08:40 pm.
Old 03 Apr 2008, 06:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: GRRRRRRR sound need help

It is very strange.
If I read you right, noise can be there even when not driving, so things like CV joint should be ruled out.
My suggestion - when cold, open hood, and have someone rev it to 1900 while you look and listen for noise underhood. Pay attention to power steering pump and belt. PS can growl, and you said it's worse when turning.
Have the person turn the wheel while you listen.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Apr 2008, 09:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Like you say i have ruled that out, Cv joint, cause this happens while not driving .The noise is not heard, while turning and not driving, the noise is there and gets worse, while driving and turning to the opposite side.
I think that could be related to Wheel hub and bearing, but the weird part is that why just on certain rev.????
i think that something wasn't properly repaired after the front collision and that something could be grounding with the engine making this noise, but the weird part is the rev at 1800 maybe the engine is no higher load, and move a bit more between 1800-2000 and grounds to something.
I have opened the hood and tried to listen to the sound while reving up, it's hard to tell cause , it's heard much louder inside the car. Outside it's hard to track.
Old 03 Apr 2008, 08:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cathy06PT

this may sound weird but also have the wheel bearings checked/replaced if needed...I had something similiar to you, not as lound but similiar and it was bad wheel bearings....replaced em' and havn't have a prob since. hope it helps.
Old 03 Apr 2008, 10:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah i think it might be that, today something strange happened, i drove the car, while cold, i was in a rush so i took it our at once and drove fast, no noise at all not even when cold, it came back when turning, and i could hear a hummmm noise while accelerating so i think its the bearing, my car has 93.000 KM so i think it`s time to check that, since i'm over seas south America Chile, and the mechanics sucks here i do all the repairs my self, can some one post a step by step procedure how to do this, is it too hard? what should i be paying for the parts?

Last edited by csd; 03 Apr 2008 at 10:18 pm.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 08:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How can it be a wheel bearing if you say the noise is there when you're not driving??

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
Yeah i think it might be that, today something strange happened, i drove the car, while cold, i was in a rush so i took it our at once and drove fast, no noise at all not even when cold, it came back when turning, and i could hear a hummmm noise while accelerating so i think its the bearing, my car has 93.000 KM so i think it`s time to check that, since i'm over seas south America Chile, and the mechanics sucks here i do all the repairs my self, can some one post a step by step procedure how to do this, is it too hard? what should i be paying for the parts?
Changing wheel bearings, Press required?

Old 04 Apr 2008, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah that's the weird, part , but lately, there has been no sound while not driving, just happens while driving and worse when putting load on the passengers side and turning
Old 05 Apr 2008, 09:06 am
Young Cruiser

My power steering went out and to me sounds the same as everything you describe, jmo and my 2 cents worth!!!!????
Old 05 Apr 2008, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

how much did you pay to get it fixed?